Spotlight haunting my machine

Discussion in 'macOS' started by aonelas, Jul 17, 2011.

1. aonelas macrumors newbie

Often I'm running word, excel, and sometimes powerpoint all together (from Office 2011). The system starts behaving a little groggy after awhile, so I opened up activity monitor to take a look at the big offender.

It turned out to be mdworker, which after some reading linked directly to Spotlight. Since I never have, and likely never will use Spotlight, I decided it safe to get rid of (one of many suggestions I found on the web).

I deleted the .Spotlight-V100 folder, disabled indexing, and erased what had been indexed. Afterward, I repeated a few test searches I performed before the changes. A results were nil - yay. After about an hour of freedom, I noticed a bit of chugging. mdworker was at it again, hogging resources with its stupid indexing. .Spotlight-Vwhatever had returned.

Does anyone know who to get rid of it for good, or know what I did that allowed it to return?

Thanks for the help

2. jive turkey macrumors 6502

What method did you use to disable indexing? I'm just guessing, but maybe if you go into Spotlight preferences and add your entire HD to the privacy list it will help. I really don't know but I would try it.