Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SpaceJello

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2006
I finally moved onto Leopard and have notice that spotlight is constantly indexing. For the past 5 days, it has indexed my system drive at least twice and that's not counting the external drive like time machine.

What bothers me is that I notice each time Leopard spotlight indexes, it takes up quite a bit of the CPU if not all of it and takes a rather lengthy time. Should I just turn spotlight off? What is going on? Anyone with similar problems?

Thanks

GNice

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2007
I can't answer your question, but I'm hoping to learn something...how do you check when/how often spotlight indexes your drive?

SpaceJello

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2006
I can't answer your question, but I'm hoping to learn something...how do you check when/how often spotlight indexes your drive?

I am on a mbp and have istat installed to indicate the CPU usage. I first noticed the problem when my fans started going insane and the CPU usage shot up to max, which never happens with average use and at the time I was only using emails or safari.

When I click on the spotlight button, it shows "its indexing xyz hard drive" with a progress bar and estimated time. The fans and CPU stops going insane each time this is done. That's when I started keeping an eye on spotlight.

Every time it indexes, CPU usage goes near max and fans go insane. It stops right when I put my whole drive on privacy on spotlight preferences.

So I guess you can say I didn't only see it but hear it too.

PS. I am on 10.5.1 so i guess it can't be a dev edition issue. As well, I repaired my preferences etc. I do have that problem with SUID errors showing up that many are having and Apple has said that isn't a problem....

iBunny

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2004
This always happens for all my External Drives. Its a Pain :(

Hopefully it will be fixed in 10.5.2

adamfishercox

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2007
I hate that it still indexes my backup drive EVERY time even though I tell it not too. Oh, and OS X, I don't want you to spin up my External Hard Drive every single freakin time I save something, search for something, or use the "Open With..." menu item.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.