Spotlight Indexing says 178712 hours remaining??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by trippr, Jan 3, 2008.

1. trippr macrumors member

trippr

Any idea why this says it will take so long, mind you it has been going a couple of hours and is 3/4 of the way done.

Also my MBP is taking a long time to boot. Stays on the blue screen for while also once the background loads it takes the top bar a little while to load. This has been like this since the software update.

Could the indexing speed this up once finished?

Cheers for all your help.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I doubt the indexing will help your boot times, but they may be indirectly related... How much free space do you have on your boot drive? Have you used Disk Utility recently to verify the drive? What sort of third party peripherals do you have plugged in?

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

im afraid it does indeed take that long lol jk. just let it be is what id do

4. trippr thread starter macrumors member

trippr

I verified the drive a few days ago with no problems found. I took at look again and see verify disk permissions, gave that ago and it found problems, repaired rebooted and now back to around 45 secs to full boot. :) Do you think this speed is good enough and how does it compare o other peoples boot with the same spec as mine.. (see sig)
    Thanks for your advice.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Good to hear Repair Permission works. Don't bother verifying permissions next time, just hit repair.

Your boot time isn't too far off from the mark I think.

Boot time will also depend on what hard drive you have installed (and other factors).
    If you have a 7200rpm drive, it'll take less time.

6. trippr thread starter macrumors member

trippr

I only have a 5200rmp hdd. :( when i ordered my mbp i went for the bigger hdd.. i should of not wasted my money and kept a smaller one with 7200 and then got a external. Oh well. I will upgrade one day. First off will be 2 4gig ram tho, will wait for prices to drop a little more tho as my machine runs super fast for what i use it for anyways.

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

That's interesting that a permissions repair would decrease your boot times... Nice work mate. Sometimes additional peripherals can slow down the boot process, for what it's worth. As great as extra RAM will be, it won't speed up your boot times but it'll probably make the system run smoother, once up. :)