spotlight & ios 6 - can't find music

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by modular, Oct 2, 2012.

1. modular macrumors regular

I'm having a very frustrating problem. I just upgraded my iphone4 to ios6 (from ios4), and the spotlight feature doesn't seem to want to work with my music. If I search for a song by artist, song, or album, it doesn't show up. if i go into the ipod mode and search it also doesnt find the song. but if i take the time to find the artist, then select the song, it will start playing the song.

WHY WHY can't spotlight find music??? i even whipped the whole phone and restarted it as a new device, loaded music, and this is still happening.

i checked preferences -> spotlight search and made sure that music is checked (everything is checked by default).

am i the only one with this issue? I googled it and nothing has come up.

i hope i can fix this soon, its very annoying. I use the ipod mode on my phone daily.

2. modular thread starter macrumors regular

this, along with many other issues, ultimately become too frustrating and i downgraded the ios.

maybe i'll upgrade again in a few months.. ios 6 wasnt ready.

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I just tried searching by artist and album in spotlight on my iPhone 4s and it brought them up immediately.

On OSX, spotlight has to take time to index everything, maybe it would start working after a while?

4. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

No problem at all searching for music on my phone (iPhone 5).

5. HazyCloud, Oct 4, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2012

HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

It works fine on my iPhone 5, iPad (3rd gen) and my iPod (iPhone 3GS) all running iOS 6. I'd test it on a 4S, but it doesn't use my Match account or have music on it.

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Oh, yeah. I just verified it works on my iPhone 3Gs running iOS 6 also. It works, albeit slower than my 4s.

7. Braniff747SP macrumors 6502

Braniff747SP

8. modular thread starter macrumors regular

yea its the weirdest thing it wasnt working for me. Doesn't seem to be a widespread problem. I doublechecked my settings and all syched, re-syched, re-installed ios6. I went like this for a week, hoping it would eventually index. but driving and going to the gym, it would just take too long trying to find that right song (finding the artist... etc) at a stop light or between sets.

finally i just downgraded tonight. that was really a big dealbreaker that i couldnt get to work.

i also like that i have google maps back.. street view can be very helpful on the road.

also a plus i can tether again using jailbreak.

i'll upgrade to ios 6 again soon enough.

9. BSben macrumors 6502a

iPhone 4S here, no problems and just as fast as before.

10. greensecret macrumors newbie

music spotlight search broke on my iPod touch 4th gen too

iOS 6 broke the music spotlight search on both my iPod touch 4th generation and on my iPad 3. All other content types work fine for search, but not music.

11. GLB Neale macrumors newbie

Spotlight & IOS 6 can't find Music

Hi,
    I have the same problem with my new 64gb 3rd gen iPad
    The music was on my iPad and I could find the song and play it however spotlight could not find it. I have 6,000 songs.
    I took off all the music and then only installed 2900 songs.
    Spotlight found all the songs. I then installed all the rest of my music 6,000 songs. Spotlight would only find some songs but not all !! Very frustrating as I use spotlight a lot. IOS 5 worked perfectly with spotlight.
    Hopefully someone finds a solution.

GLB

12. GLB Neale, Nov 12, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2012

GLB Neale macrumors newbie

Spotlight search not finding music

I have solved the problem. I had to uncheck 10 albums at a time sync then recheck sync again it took a while but now spotlight can find all my music
    Happy Dayz !!!
    PS it appears spotlight has a size limitation in IOS 6 ???