Spotlight is suddenly indexing my TM drive?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by theman, Nov 17, 2007.

1. theman macrumors 6502a

I have been using time machine for almost 2 weeks now, and suddenly I look up at spotlight and it says it's indexing my TM drive. This is the first time I've seen this. Is it supposed to be indexing the drive? Why did this suddenly start happening?

2. todd2000 macrumors 68000

If you didn't tell it not to it will automatically index all drives. Open your Spotlight Prefs, click on the "Privacy" tab, and drag the TM drive into the list. Should stop it from ever indexing.

3. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

It has to index it to let you be able to use spotlight in time machine, I believe.

Anyway, I've seen it do mine too (even though I told it not to).

4. theman thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok, it finished indexing. when i just went up to the menubar and clicked the spotlight icon, it made my external drive spin up. what the heck? I don't want that? i added the drive to that external list.

anyways, I also found a pretty bad problem in Time machine.

Lets say you have a file, called "test.html" on your desktop. One day, you decide to delete it. Another day, you decide you actually wanted it afterall (the perfect situation for time machine!)

One thing though, you deleted the file 2 months ago, or was it 3? (you really have no idea when you deleted it).

So you go to the search box in TM and type in "test.html"

Nothing comes up!

The only way to find it is to keep going back, and back, and back through your backups until you find it! TM should just jump right to the most recent version of a file (not even sure how this would work if there were multiple files all from different days).

anyways, still don't understand the indexing thing, or really understand time machine at all.... :cool:

5. CavemanUK macrumors 6502

CavemanUK

Just to be clear, you are clicking on the back arrow in TM after setting your search? it wouldnt appear in the front most finder window.

6. theman thread starter macrumors 6502a

ahh, i see, it zooms right to it! cool.

but still, every time i click on spotlight my external drive spins up. it didn't use to do this... weird.

7. todd2000 macrumors 68000

Interesting point you bring up, I haden't thought of that. I just re-enabled index on my TM drive. On a side note it seems Apple was smart enough not to have the TM volume contents show up during normal spotlight searches.