Spotlight: multiple word search term with logical AND

Discussion in 'macOS' started by marvin*1*2, Sep 26, 2007.

1. marvin*1*2 macrumors member

marvin*1*2

for example, when I type in:
    combustion of coal

I get not just all files containing these three words but also files containing only one of them... now how do I get spotlight to list only the files that contain the exact phrase?

quotes/dbl quotes don't do the job...:confused:

I found this forum entry stating it isn't possible, but I cannot believe that such a fundamental thing is missing!

I cannot find real information from apple on how to use spotlight in more sophisticated ways either... can anybody help me with this?

thanks!

2. gormond macrumors regular

I don't have a mac to try it on but have you tried C syntax.

&& for AND
    || for OR

?

3. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Yes, it is. Use the & symbol

combustion & coal

4. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

if you're typing "combustion of coal," you really are getting results with all three words in it, though they might not be tied together like you think. for instance, one word could be in the title, one could be in a description and the other could be found elsewhere. to know for sure, type one word in the search field and note how many results pop up. type the next word and the next and see your results shrink. that's how you know. as for advanced searching with "and" operators, i suggest you wait a month for leopard. it's supposed to have an improved spotlight. you can read more about it on apple's mac os x page.

Attached Files: