Spotlight needs to re-index everytime restarting

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kr4yzi3, Jan 20, 2011.

1. kr4yzi3 macrumors newbie

For the last few days I have this annoying problem and dunno why. Whenever I restart my MacBook Pro, the Spotlight cannot search anything at all :(

I've even uncheck everything in the reference besides Applications, when I search for Terminal or Firefox or some other application, if I haven't opened it since restarting, the Spotlight point it out at all (this has never happened before). If I let it re-index the whole disk, it works fine. But I really don't wanna turn it on and leave it there for an hour to re-index the whole disk :( Any solution without re-installing the OS?

Thanks in advance!

I've attached an example, I only check for the Spotlight to search in Application but it couldn't search for Terminal or Firefox :( (I even left it there for 5 minutes but nothing happened)

Attached Files:

2. Damo01 macrumors regular

type
    Code:
    sudo mdutil -E /
    or
    Code:
    sudo mdutil -i on /
    in terminal.

3. kr4yzi3 thread starter macrumors newbie

It's still like that :( Whenever I restart my laptop, the Spotlight has to re-index everything and it takes me almost an hour :(

Should I re-install everything?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Just be patient and let it re-index until it's complete. After that, it won't continually re-index, and you'll be able to search.

5. kr4yzi3 thread starter macrumors newbie

If it happened once in a while, I would be very happy to accept it. The fact is that I turn on my MBP, it re-indexes everything (approximately one hour to complete everything), and if I restart it, Spotlight will re-indexes again (another one hour). It happens just like that, whenever I start-up my MBP, Spotlight will have to spend around one hour to do that task :(

BTW, when it does the re-indexing task, there's gonna be a small dot flashing in the magnifying glass right? And it disappear when finish?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, that's right: [​IMG] (not indexing) [​IMG] (indexing)

Also, if you click on Spotlight while it's indexing, it will indicate that:
    ScreenCap 1.PNG
    If it successfully indexed the drive before, a subsequent index should only take a few seconds to index any changes since the drive was last connected. If it's longer than that, there are likely other issues.

What version of Mac OS X are you running?

7. kr4yzi3 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm using 10.6.6. Only my Macintosh HD is indexed but not the BootCamp (perhaps because it's NTFS, not HFS). But it shouldn't raise any problem here.

I started turning off the laptop and switching between Mac and Win less frequently than before :( should this be considered a solution :D

8. Betonos macrumors newbie

Same here...

I'm having the same problem here. I've found that restarting SystemUIServer helps, but you usually have to wait a moment before after restarting the server it can display results to you.

Glad to see I'm not the only one with the problem. Avoiding restarting MBP is frankly not an acceptable solution for me.

And I was starting to actually like OSX because "it always works"...