Spotlight Not Finding Apps

Discussion in 'macOS' started by northy124, Feb 18, 2010.

1. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

Hey guys,

Recently spotlight froze and I deleted the Pref files for it in hopes it would solve it (IDK why I didn't shut down). But now as they are gone I can no longer search for Apps via Spotlight and it is killing me having to go to the folder and search :(

Is there a way to make things right again?

Northy

2. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Open Terminal and enter this:
    Code:
    mdls -name kMDItemKind /Applications/iTunes.app
    What does it output?

3. mac&cheesey macrumors 6502

Two days ago I began having problems with Spotlight as well. My iMac was having an issue waking from sleep... I would get a black screen with no box to enter my password. I decided to try to repair premissions. I tried to use Spotlight to find Disk Utility. It would not find it even though I could see it in the Utilities folder inside the Applications folder. It found several other items I looked for but not Disk Utility. I googled and found instructions for rebuilding the Spotlight database. I followed those but after it rebuilt itself Spotlight still would not find Disk Utility. I called AppleCare and was told to do an Archive & Install with Snow Leopard. (AppleCare noted that Archive & Install is the default option with Snow Leopard so I didn't change anything onthe install options that came up, FYI.)

I did the Archive & Install and ran all Software Updates and all seems to be back to normal for me now. It's also worth noting that Safari was hanging a bit for me prior to all of this. I would get the spinning beachball for a few seconds often when changing tabs.

I hope this may of some help for you.
    Regards,
    m&c

4. northy124 thread starter macrumors 68020

northy124

Code:
    kMDItemKind = "Application"
    Unfortunately I cannot do an archive and install as I no loner have the SL discs :(

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

!!!!
    It's practically brand new!

(Interesting typo there... a Freudian slip, perhaps?)
    Ok, if no one gets that, I can explain. Later.

6. northy124 thread starter macrumors 68020

northy124

No it wasn't a Freudian slip, it was a "Keyboard buttons aren't working properly and I should prove read more slip :p"

7. funkahdafi macrumors 6502

Hi, I am having a similar issue right now. Are you sure about the Archive and Install thing being the default?

As far as I remember, Archive and Install in previous OS versions did a clean install and moved your old installation to another directory (untouched otherwise).

What exactly will happen if I just use the default installation of SL?

8. northy124 thread starter macrumors 68020

northy124

I solved this myself by Creating a new account (suggestion from someone else about something else lol) in SL and it worked :)

9. Denarius macrumors 6502a

Denarius

Most common fix for spotlight problems is, which I don't know whether you've tried, but I see you've already sussed it!

Code:
    sudo mdutil -E -i on /

10. mac&cheesey macrumors 6502

Yeah, I am sure. I was nervous too but AppleCare assured me that the Archive & Install option was the default option with Snow Leopard (I have the SL retail disc, but not the one in the Box Set, not sure if it would be different). I did it and it worked. Although, my black screen with no log-in window problem has returned. Not sure what to do now.

Good luck,
    m&c

11. funkahdafi macrumors 6502

So... you installed and after the installation you had a new, clean install (without any apps or data) and a second folder that contained your old installation? That's what archive & install is supposed to do...

12. mac&cheesey macrumors 6502

No, everything was the same as it was prior to the A&I. It seemed like it simply rewrote the OS but left everything where it was.

I was sceptical too. The guy on the phone at AppleCare assured me it would work prior to me starting. I gave it a go and it did.