Spotlight not showing user folders

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by smokeyismyg, Jun 10, 2009.

1. smokeyismyg macrumors newbie

Hi, i just got my macbook pro 4 days ago and i can't figure out why spotlight does not find my documents folder, pictures folder, or several things in my user section.

How can i fix this?

thanks.

2. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

In System Preferences> Spotlight -- Does it have an option to select that? (or maybe it's set to ignore user folders)

3. smokeyismyg thread starter macrumors newbie

no everything is checked in spotlight pref. weird thing is it gets some stuff in my user folder such as public and sites but i can't get to pictures or documents.

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Spotlight may not have completely indexed the drive, or it may have been interrupted at some point. To force Spotlight to reindex, open your Spotlight preferences and go to the Privacy tab. Drag the Macintosh HD volume into the privacy section, then remove it from the Privacy list using the - sign. You'll know you have done it correctly if you see a dot pulsing in the Spotlight menu in the upper right. Let it sit for a few hours and when it stops pulsing it will have finished indexing the drive. Then run a search and see if it can find other files in your home folder.

5. smokeyismyg thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks man! i fixed it. i just dragged the files it wasn't getting into privacy not the whole hard drive.