Spotlight not working right on iPhone 6plus

thedru13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
Ok this happened the 2nd time this has happened. Had to wipe and restore the phone to get it to work the first time. And just happened again. When I swipe down to search I no longer get the small icons and doesn't seem to search the web or anything other than my phone. Anyone else have this issue? I am in 8.0.2.
This is what it should look like

This is what mine looks like

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Yes, that is true. It is how Spotlight was in OS 7 as well. Having them stay there was either a bug or a stuck setting.

thedru13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
So not sure why this is buggin me but tried this on my IP5 just now and IP5s and those icons never went away. Both on 8.0.2. They would go away after search but when you pull it down after hitting cancel would come right back..

Yes, that is true. It is how Spotlight was in OS 7 as well. Having them stay there was either a bug or a stuck setting.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
When tapping Cancel from the Spotlight menu, the text entry box and keyboard are to slide away back to the home screen.

thedru13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
Just had my buddy with his IP6 plus try this as well. His went away but then came back.. The icons did. Mine don't come back..

freeskier93

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2008
Settings > General > Spotlight Search and checking/unchecked Spotlight Suggestions turns those icons on/off.

Now that you mention it though, lots of Spotlight functionality doesn't seem to be working for me either. I even tried the example from Apple's website "Point Reyes" and nothing comes up. The example show a Wikipedia snippet and Maps routing.

Last edited:

thedru13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
I never unchecked it. I kept it checked. I just unchecked it rebooted then checked it to turn it back on. Same result. no icons.
Settings > General > Spotlight Search and checking/unchecked Spotlight Suggestions turns those icons on/off.

freeskier93

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2008
I never unchecked it. I kept it checked. I just unchecked it rebooted then checked it to turn it back on. Same result. no icons.
Hmm, works for me. I edited my post though adding that a lot of functionality doesn't seem to be working for me either, like Wikipedia.

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012

Now that you mention it though, lots of Spotlight functionality doesn't seem to be working for me either. I even tried the example from Apple's website "Point Reyes" and nothing comes up. The example show a Wikipedia snippet and Maps routing.
I think it turns the functionality on/off, not the icons - on my phone it's turned on but as above, I don't have the icons.

I don't get the fuss, OP - simply search something like 'cheesecake' or whatever and see what comes up. If you don't have the option to search the web then something is broken. If you do, then everything's fine. The icons themselves are just window dressing that vanish because they don't do anything.

thedru13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
No real fuss.. Alot more curious and wanted to make sure it wasn't some sort of glitch.. not trying to create a #spotlight-gate.

----------

No real fuss.. More curious and wanted to make sure it wasn't some sort of glitch.. not trying to create a #spotlight-gate.

mattbnr

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2014
What is the point of spotlight? I don't use it maybe I'm missing some awesome feature (doubt it but hey possible)

woodekm

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
I wish I could turn spotlight search off on my 6 plus. Pops up accidently a lot, and I never use it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.