Spotlight not working right on iPhone 6plus

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thedru13, Sep 28, 2014.

1. thedru13 macrumors regular

Ok this happened the 2nd time this has happened. Had to wipe and restore the phone to get it to work the first time. And just happened again. When I swipe down to search I no longer get the small icons and doesn't seem to search the web or anything other than my phone. Anyone else have this issue? I am in 8.0.2.
    This is what it should look like
    [​IMG]

This is what mine looks like
    [​IMG]

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Those icons only show up when activating Spotlight for the first time.

3. thedru13 thread starter macrumors regular

Really? Didn't know that. They were always there in my ip5 even after I used it. So is that defiantly true?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes, that is true. It is how Spotlight was in OS 7 as well. Having them stay there was either a bug or a stuck setting.

5. thedru13 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Intell. Really appreciate the quick response

6. thedru13 thread starter macrumors regular

So not sure why this is buggin me but tried this on my IP5 just now and IP5s and those icons never went away. Both on 8.0.2. They would go away after search but when you pull it down after hitting cancel would come right back..

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

When tapping Cancel from the Spotlight menu, the text entry box and keyboard are to slide away back to the home screen.

8. kerrikins macrumors 65816

This is what mine looks like.

Attached Files:

9. thedru13 thread starter macrumors regular

Just had my buddy with his IP6 plus try this as well. His went away but then came back.. The icons did. Mine don't come back..

10. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

11. freeskier93, Sep 28, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2014

freeskier93 macrumors 6502

Settings > General > Spotlight Search and checking/unchecked Spotlight Suggestions turns those icons on/off.

Now that you mention it though, lots of Spotlight functionality doesn't seem to be working for me either. I even tried the example from Apple's website "Point Reyes" and nothing comes up. The example show a Wikipedia snippet and Maps routing.

12. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Also, the icons didn't actually DO anything. Saw them on my wife's iP5 after a restore today and I started tapping them. Nothing happened.

After a few seconds of looking like an idiot I moved on.

13. thedru13 thread starter macrumors regular

I never unchecked it. I kept it checked. I just unchecked it rebooted then checked it to turn it back on. Same result. no icons.

14. freeskier93 macrumors 6502

Hmm, works for me. I edited my post though adding that a lot of functionality doesn't seem to be working for me either, like Wikipedia.

15. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Exactly, so why the want to have them back?

16. kerrikins macrumors 65816

I think it turns the functionality on/off, not the icons - on my phone it's turned on but as above, I don't have the icons.

I don't get the fuss, OP - simply search something like 'cheesecake' or whatever and see what comes up. If you don't have the option to search the web then something is broken. If you do, then everything's fine. The icons themselves are just window dressing that vanish because they don't do anything.

17. thedru13 thread starter macrumors regular

No real fuss.. Alot more curious and wanted to make sure it wasn't some sort of glitch.. not trying to create a #spotlight-gate.

----------

No real fuss.. More curious and wanted to make sure it wasn't some sort of glitch.. not trying to create a #spotlight-gate.

18. mattbnr macrumors newbie

What is the point of spotlight? I don't use it maybe I'm missing some awesome feature (doubt it but hey possible)

19. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

I wish I could turn spotlight search off on my 6 plus. Pops up accidently a lot, and I never use it.

20. marine0816 macrumors 6502a

marine0816