Spotlight Oddities

Discussion in 'macOS' started by professorasian, Nov 30, 2010.

1. professorasian macrumors newbie

I am still fairly new to the Mac, had mine just over a month now. What has struck me is how slow spotlight is. I come from Windows 7, which has a fantastic instant search. I am not sure if my expectations of spotlight are off or if I have some issue I am unfamiliar with.

I've researched this quite a bit. There do seem to be random complaints about spotlight. Usually people recommend getting more ram, rebuilding the index, or repairing permissions. I have tried repairing permissions, that is about it. I am not sure how the index is rebuilt, or I would be willing to try that.

What seems to happen is sometimes I just do not get the results I want. I will type in a query, and wait for 10 - 20 seconds for the document I want to show up. It usually never does.

[​IMG]

If I delete the query, then try again immediately afterwards, the document I want shows up.

[​IMG]

Is this behavior expected? This is snow leopard fully updated on a Macbook Pro 2.53Ghz i5 and 4GB Ram with the 500GB 7200 RPM hard drive. While the query is running, I have Word, Outlook, Safari, and sometimes Xcode and the terminal open.

Should I just leave it be, that is how it is, deal with it? Or is rebuilding the index something I have to do regularly, or maybe some other voodoo magic trick?

2. wellandbusiness macrumors newbie

You shouldn't have to rebuild your spotlight index regularly but it may be a good idea to try this, and also repairing your disk permissions as a first step to finding a solution to your problem.

3. professorasian thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried the rebuilding of the index. I added / to the private tab, then waited for a bit and then removed it. I saw that spotlight was reindexing the drive. The same behavior still exists. And as I mentioned earlier, I already tried repairing permissions.

4. Animalk macrumors 6502

I've also noticed this odd behaviour from Spotlight.

Sometimes I get the opposite behaviour where if I wait too long, the desired result disappears from the list. :confused:

5. professorasian thread starter macrumors newbie

Perhaps it is just an isolated error. It works perfect for finding applications. Very poor part of the OS.