Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sfwalter

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Dallas Texas
I know in the past OS X did not support indexing network drives. Has this changed? Do more recent versions of OS X such as Yosemite support spotlight on network drives?

I am thinking of investing in a NAS storage device such as Synology and spotlight support is a requirement. Since I have lots of data on my external drives right now.

mvmanolov

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2013
I know in the past OS X did not support indexing network drives. Has this changed? Do more recent versions of OS X such as Yosemite support spotlight on network drives?

I am thinking of investing in a NAS storage device such as Synology and spotlight support is a requirement. Since I have lots of data on my external drives right now.

All my externals are DAS's and spotlight does indeed index them. i'm on 10.10.1

If you are to buy a NAS remember that a DAS will be invariably faster, unless you buy a rather high-end NAS, which will cost you $$$$.

Mac2626

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2015
All my externals are DAS's and spotlight does indeed index them. i'm on 10.10.1

If you are to buy a NAS remember that a DAS will be invariably faster, unless you buy a rather high-end NAS, which will cost you $$$$.

So then a mac mini or iMac connected to a thunderbolt raid is faster in a shared inviroment? Lets say less than 10 users. Lots of small file/folders.

mvmanolov

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2013
So then a mac mini or iMac connected to a thunderbolt raid is faster in a shared inviroment? Lets say less than 10 users. Lots of small file/folders.

yes:

unless you got 10Gbe you max throughput over land is 100MB/s or so. a DAS Raid can go much much faster then that for example my raid (cheap one) does at 250MB/s

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
While a DAS RAID is faster than a (consumer grade) NAS RAID, in a shared environment data is going over the network anyway so the advantage of DAS (although still there) is reduced.

A Mac mini running Server.app, loaded with RAM and attached drives gives great performance because excess RAM is used for disk caching. I've got multiple non-RAID drives and have no performance problems. The server will also do the Spotlight indexing of the shared drives for all the client systems, offloading that (and the network traffic) from the clients.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.