Spotlight on Snow Leopard causing slow system death?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iindigo, Dec 21, 2010.

1. iindigo, Dec 21, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2010

iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

An odd problem that has recurred on two of the installations of Snow Leopard I've had on my 27" iMac is that for some odd reason, using Spotlight will cause a slow system death.

I'll search using either the Spotlight menu or a Finder window. At first it all appears nice and dandy, searching along and finding files. But after a few seconds, the search will stop (even though the spinning activity indicator will say otherwise) and while I can still move my cursor and interact with interface elements, programs start refusing to launch and it won't even allow me to restart. Eventually, all open programs are beachballed and I can't do anything until I force restart the computer.

Doing a fresh install seems to fix this, but it eventually always creeps back. Oddly enough, this disease seems to not have touched my external backup drive's bootable Snow Leopard install - Spotlight works flawlessly on it, finishing each search nice and cleanly.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, were you able to find a fix?

2. iindigo thread starter macrumors 6502a

iindigo

Well, I figured it out (at least I think). Turns out that enabling write mode on Apple's NTFS mounter makes Spotlight go crazy... Guess that's why it's not enabled by default!