Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 13, 2008
One of the biggest gripes i have with Leopard is Spotlight. I have a 4gb usb drive i put mp3s on to listen to in my car and every time i plug it in Spotlight starts indexing it which means i get stuck with slower read/write speeds until it is done. Is there any way in 10.6 to turn off Spotlight for external drives?

farmermac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2009
Iowa
One of the biggest gripes i have with Leopard is Spotlight. I have a 4gb usb drive i put mp3s on to listen to in my car and every time i plug it in Spotlight starts indexing it which means i get stuck with slower read/write speeds until it is done. Is there any way in 10.6 to turn off Spotlight for external drives?

go to system preferences, spotlight, and add the USB thumb drive in the excluded list of drives to archive. tada!

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 13, 2008
GGJStudios:
I am aware of that "fix" but its kinda messy. I dont like extra files hanging out on my drives. They just need a checkbox to trun off indexing for usb drives, then if you want one indexed just tell it to and it will make a spotlight folder in the root. I was hoping they would fix some of the annoyances of Finder when they were re-writing it in Cacoa.

go to system preferences, spotlight, and add the USB thumb drive in the excluded list of drives to archive. tada!

Doesnt work. Well, it does work, but after you remove/reinsert the drive it doesnt any more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.