iPhone Spotlight only searches iPhone and not web

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by simon lefisch, Apr 21, 2015.

1. simon lefisch macrumors 6502a

simon lefisch

Whenever I try to use spotlight, it looks like it only searches my iPhone and does have the option to search the web. Before if I typed something in (let's say, Scarlett Johanson) I would have the option to select 'search web'.

[​IMG]

However that option is no longer available. I haven't made any changes or anything. It just randomly stopped showing that option. Has anyone else experienced this or is having this problem? Any solution?

2. iPhone20 macrumors regular

Go to Settings>General>Spotlight Search and turn everything off and then open Spotlight. Then go back to Spotlight Search. Turn everything on.
    This should work.

3. simon lefisch thread starter macrumors 6502a

simon lefisch

Thank you for this. While it wasn't the complete solution, it allowed me to figure what was causing the problem.

I went to Spotlight Search and turned everything off and 'search web' option was visible again. After turning everything back on it was gone again. So I turned everything off again and verified 'search web' was available. I then started turning things on one at a time. Everything works except Mail. Having Mail enabled in Spotlight Search causes the 'search web' option to disappear.

Strange that all of a sudden this started to happen. I always had Mail enabled but never this problem until today. Regardless, I have Mail disabled from Spotlight Search and all is well now. Thank you for your help

4. iPhone20 macrumors regular

Hehe. Glad i helped you. :) You can ask me if you get any other issue related to iOS. :)
    Really strange. I've everything turned on and not having any issue. You're using which iOS ver?

5. simon lefisch thread starter macrumors 6502a

simon lefisch

I'm on iOS 8.3. I updated almost a week ago via OTA. Strange that it happened today and not when I first updated.

6. iPhone20 macrumors regular

You can try resetting your phone if it's a big deal for you. :)
    That'll help. I don't think mail in spotlight is a useful feature. So be it. ;)

Have a great day!

7. simon lefisch thread starter macrumors 6502a

simon lefisch

Not that big a deal. I can always use the search inMail if need be. If I continue to have probs then I'll do a reset. Otherwise I'm good. Thanks much!