Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
I recently got a MBP 2 GHz. Just today, I tried to use spotlight, and it will only search when the first or last character is space. For other characters, it will not search, but it will display no search found at the end. Also, for a known file (see attachment), it will display no search found after closing spotlight and opening it again. I have tried restarting and repairing permissions, I checked spotlight preferences, everything is normal. Thanks for the help!

-yankeefan

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 99

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
I suppose you could do a forced re-indexing of the spotlight database. In preferences, make your entire HD 'private', then remove it from the private area. This forces a re-index. Maybe this will help you.

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
gauchogolfer said:
I suppose you could do a forced re-indexing of the spotlight database. In preferences, make your entire HD 'private', then remove it from the private area. This forces a re-index. Maybe this will help you.

I just tried that and unfortunately, it did not work. Thanks though! I am thinking of bringing it to the Apple Store this weekend because of a non-related issue so if it still happens then I can mention it to them.

Any other ideas?

-yankeefan

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
In your example, does Spotlight find the DMG if you take the space off the end? Sorry, it's a bit early in the morning and I'm not fully understanding your problem.

Just as a side, if Spotlight plays up and reindexing doesn't help, then maybe deleting a file named com.apple.spotlight.plist and rebooting will help. :)

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
mad jew said:
Just as a side, if Spotlight plays up and reindexing doesn't help, then maybe deleting a file named com.apple.spotlight.plist and rebooting will help. :)

Yay! I had post #5 in the office pool for when mad_jew suggests scrapping the .plist file! Looks like I'm a winner :) :)

I keed, I keed :D

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
mad jew said:
In your example, does Spotlight find the DMG if you take the space off the end? Sorry, it's a bit early in the morning and I'm not fully understanding your problem.

The dmg was an example, and it doesnt work without the space at the end. It doesn't even search with the typical results i normally get (live feedback). I will try trashing the plist and restarting and I'll get back to you.

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
Sorry, but I have been away for a while. I know this sounds newbie-ish, but where is the plist file? I would normally spotlight it, but…

Thanks!

~yankeefan

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
gauchogolfer said:
Hah, yeah, I guess this might be a problem. In my system it's located in:
/Users/(loginname)/Library/Preferences

Good luck

OK. I found it. I am restarting now for two problems (except another thread from me soon…) and will test this when I'm done. I will get back to you soon.

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
mad jew said:
No worries. Don't you love Macs. They're usually just so easy to fix.

Is the other problem you mentioned still occurring? :)

The other problem I mentioned seems to be fixed, but I have only tried one instance. The problem I had was when I put my MBP into clamshell mode, and I woke it from my keyboard with the lid closed, it would work fine for about 5 seconds, the computer would freeze, and then go to sleep again, and the process would keep going forever. I think the restart fixed it though! I will get back to you all after I give it all the tests and one or more fail.

-yankeefan

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.