Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
I type Windows XP just for the heck of it.. and i get results that have nothing to do with xp.. like the 2004 democratic platform... or emails from friends... is spotlight still primative?

Ryon

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2005
Perhaps there was something in the meta data for those files? If any of them were created on XP or something like that, they might come up in that search.

Sutekidane

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2005
I type Windows Xp, and I get things that are pretty relevent, such as my virtual pc virtual HD, PDF files that came with Mac OS X, and ichats that had windows xp in them..

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
CubaTBird said:
I type Windows XP just for the heck of it.. and i get results that have nothing to do with xp.. like the 2004 democratic platform... or emails from friends... is spotlight still primative?

man.. you got nothign but bad crap to say anymore. seems like every day i come here to check on new threads and you're whining about something else not working in Tiger.

in all likelihood the file was created in windows xp and the metadata that is stored in those files probably contains that information, as such a search brings that up, as someone already mentioned.

slb

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2005
New Mexico
I get a few weird results now and then, but then I crack open the file and take a look and find my search term somewhere in the file contents itself, or in the creator info, etc.

It's not like Spotlight is flipping coins, here. It's a specific text search utility.

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
DXoverDY said:
man.. you got nothign but bad crap to say anymore. seems like every day i come here to check on new threads and you're whining about something else not working in Tiger.

in all likelihood the file was created in windows xp and the metadata that is stored in those files probably contains that information, as such a search brings that up, as someone already mentioned.

relax, this is where a lot of people come for help. it sounded like a valid question to me and we all now spotlight has been spotty on a lot of systems.

tiger isnt perfect...deal with it.

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
DXoverDY said:

ill post a pic later man.. eesh...

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
i'm relaxed, i'm just saying he sounds like a broken record at this point. i've had a couple of small issues, i've gone through all these threads looking for problems people are posting and then seeing if i can recreate them to post bug reports... i've done about 20 so far based on other people's things. however CubaTbird seems to not give any real info, like he's just complaining for the most part, that's just MY reading on it.. maybe i'm wrong but that's just the way it seems "to me"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.