Spotlight "re-indexing" on every reboot!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by johto, May 16, 2008.

1. johto macrumors 6502

johto

Hi peeps. Just noticed that spotlight has been re-indexing too often, if i recall now on every reboot ...just rebooted and noticed it again so i went and look more info about it. Did not found much, only one fresh thread in apple support.

Anyone else noticed the same on your Leopard 10.5.2 with the current updates? :confused:
    [​IMG]

2. johto thread starter macrumors 6502

johto

Ok. The cause was a offending (corrupted) PDF file. I found it by searching error messages in console with the keyword "mdworker" which is the spotlight. :)

3. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

It sounds like you may have some file system corruption and the spotlight index keeps getting corrupted.

Boot into "Single User" mode and run the following commands:

/sbin/fsck -fy (and hit return key)

If you see errors that it is correcting, at the end when you get your prompt back, type it again. Keep doing this until you get a clean pass. Then type

reboot (and hit a return key)

Once booted, go into System Prefs -> Spotlight pane -> Privacy tab and drag your disk icon into the list. Close the Spotlight window and then go back in. Now remove your disk. Spotlight will now re-index your disk which will take a few hours, but all of this should fix the problem.