Spotlight search - A new reason why everyone should LOCK their phones..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iphones4evry1, Jun 17, 2009.

1. iphones4evry1 macrumors 65816

iphones4evry1

With the new Spotlight search, it searches your entire phone, email, EVERYTHING. If you get a hold of another person's iPhone, you can search their entire phone contents in seconds. If your girlfriend/boyfriend, teacher, school administrator, parent, police, business competitor, or really anyone gets a hold of your phone, they now have a QUICK search tool to search your entire phone and all of your email boxes in SECONDS! I have nothing to hide (at least, at first thought), but I'm going to be thinking twice about locking my phone from now on.

Attached Files:

2. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

3. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

This is definitely one of the worst threads I've ever read.

The point is (somehow) partially legitimate, but someone with access to your phone before could have gotten the exact same information even if it took them 5-10 seconds longer...

4. shrimpdesign macrumors 6502a

shrimpdesign

I know! Previously, if my wife wanted to search my emails from my mistress, she'd have to scroll through my inbox. But now she can just search! :mad::mad::mad:

Thanks a lot, Apple!

</sarcasm>

5. LoganT macrumors 68020

6. newyorksole macrumors 68020

7. edk99 macrumors 6502a

What term is she using to search "Booty Call" Seriously?

Edit: haha I missed the </sarcasm> line. Still Lame thread

8. macfanboy macrumors 6502a

you know you can turn off searching of specific items?

being a developer with access for a while, ive found this helpful

EDIT: found in settings>general>home>search results

9. NerdTeks macrumors newbie

See, Now Im glad this thread was made so I could get information such as this.

Thank you macfanboy for being helpful.

10. iphones4evry1 thread starter macrumors 65816

iphones4evry1

precisely.

11. jmeray macrumors member

jmeray

Or install the WIFEBLOCKER app.
    When your wife tries to do a search thru your iPhone, it takes a picture of her with the new 3GS front facing camera. (stay with me)
    Does facial recognition. Determines its your wife.
    Looks at the setting in your CONTACTS under her name for BLOCKING Yes/No.
    If set to YES, it locks the phone.
    All happens within about 5 seconds.
    $2.99 in the app store.

(ok, maybe not, but wouldnt it be cool?) :)

or.... why cant the iPhone do fingerprint recognition?
    Pickup phone. Instead of slide to lock, you place your thumb within a circle.
    It cks your fingerprint.
    If its YOU, it unlocks.
    If its anyone else, it stays locked.
    is that really so hard?

12. iphones4evry1 thread starter macrumors 65816

iphones4evry1

If the new MobileMe Find My Phone feature allowed you to take photos and email them to yourself, you could get a snapshot of a thief or simply the location where you left your phone (if you set it down with the screen facing downwards, which I usually do so that people can't read my messages). Either way, it would be cool if Find My Phone could snap photos and email them to you.

13. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

That would be so neat. I hate entering the password each time I pick up the phone to do something, and this would be such an elegant way to eliminate that "enter password" step, since we have to touch the phone to use it anyway!

Too bad Apple hasn't figured out a way to cram a ultra-mini scanner underneath the iPhone's touch screen... yet! ;)

14. GelleCC macrumors regular

GelleCC

I, personally, think you guys are being a little too harsh. The point of the thread is valid. It may be a stupid thread, but there are people, like my parents, (who shouldn't have iphones because they can't use them, but they have one anyway) that w/o the search feature never would have been able to figure out how to find something. It would have taken them 30 min to find the right app to look in (email, sms, etc). Now, even though they are technologically challenged but kinda know how to use an iphone, they can use search, and search for <insert name> to see what's going on between me and someone else.

Therefore, this thread is legit because now dumb people can now do something with your phone! But i've always set the lock to go off after 15 minutes anyway.

But it's still a stupid thread. lol. But I'm still giving props to the starter.