Spotlight search field sometimes appears out of place

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by POWERSHAKER, Aug 23, 2010.

1. POWERSHAKER macrumors newbie

POWERSHAKER

I have not seen anyone address the following problem. Nevertheless, it absolutely annoys me, and I wonder if anyone knows how to fix it. Sometimes, when I press the normal COMMAND+SHIFT key sequence to use Spotlight, the Spotlight search field will drop down lower on the screen. It will still be on the correct side, but it will drop down near the middle of the screen. In other words, the Spotlight search field will not be attached to the menu bar in the upper-right corner (next to the clock and the day of the week) where it normally appears. However, during those instances, it will pop back into place if I do one of two things: 1) start typing into the Spotlight field anyway or 2) Change my resolution to 1680x1050. This really annoys me when it happens. Does anyone know how to fix this so that it never happens again? It doesn't happen a lot, but I don't want it to happen again, and I absolutely love using Spotlight. I'm a Spotlight addict. Also, if there's a fix, can someone tell me anything I can do to Snow Leopard, so that the Spotlight search field never pops out of place again?
    Sorry, but I'm very much a perfectionist.

Here's a screen shot of how it looks when it happens. I snapped it off the desktop when it happened last time:
    http://s950.photobucket.com/albums/...SpotlightMisplacement-2010-08-23at20936PM.png

If anyone knows how to make sure it never happens again, I'd be very grateful. Thank you! :confused:

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

3. POWERSHAKER thread starter macrumors newbie

POWERSHAKER

Nah. I don't think so. That will only re-index the hard drive. It seems to be some type of graphics glitch in Snow Leopard… something that only happens occasionally. However, when it does happen, it's very annoying. It's something the perfectionist in me just can't stand.

4. Ge.nu macrumors newbie

Old thread, but still happening to me under 10.8 on rMBP.

Anyone?

5. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

The follow the steps in the blog post Rebuild the Spotlight Index and see if doing this helps.