Spotlight & Search for Numbers under v3.0

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BeeS4335, Jun 18, 2009.

1. BeeS4335 macrumors member

Is it me? Am I missing something? When I enter a number in the new Spotlight Search option I get a nil results return every time. So I cannot identify, say, a telephone number by its last 4 digits. In the UK we dial 1471 to get last number called. Seems bizarre that I cannot search for a "missed call" 1471 number to see who tried to contact me! Anyone else similarly baffled? If I search under an area code of, say, 01904, I get nil results whereas I have hundreds of numbers of that code.

2. JohnFa macrumors regular

Since you can just check missed calls in the phone app, maybe Apple felt there was really no need to search for missed calls in spotlight.
    But I see what you're getting at. It would be great if you could search by number and see it the number matches any of your contacts.

3. BeeS4335 thread starter macrumors member

Yes, thanks John. My point about telephone numbers was illustrative. The thing is, Spotlight doesn't seem to want to play with number searches and I'm wondering if it's me & my machine or whether, indeed, Spotlight isn't configured for a "digital" search. Other examples: Spotlight doesn't find a policy Number, an account number, a PIN, a sort code, in short, if it's a number you're looking for - forget it. Which doesn't seem sensible since numbers are what rule the world! I repeat, maybe it's me... Thanks again.

4. memesmith macrumors regular

You are right. What you are saying is not about searching for "1471", but when you've done 1471 on your landline, and you have a telephone number, wou want to search for it, in address book to find out who it is before you call back.

I used do this all the time in the address book on my Mac, but you can't do it in Spotlight, or indeed in the contacts app itself. I wonder why, its not treated like any other string of characters?

5. BeeS4335 thread starter macrumors member

Yes Memesmith, precisely: why isn't it just another string? I doubt it's sinister! Just baffling. And disappointing too.

6. dwright1974 macrumors 6502

dwright1974

That is disappointing I agree.

I can see a few "improvements" which could be added to iPhone Spotlight.

Hopefully, Apps will be able to plug-in to Spotlight in the future, (for example Facebook), so that Spotlight searches include info from third party apps.

However, at the moment I'm too stoked to be that bothered about that as a meeting has just beeped from my work Exchange calendar which is now integrated in to my iPhone calendar alongside my Mobile Me one :D

- D