spotlight search in finder is slow

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ellmani, Jan 12, 2009.

1. ellmani macrumors newbie

so i sent in my mac book pro (version 10.5.6) for repair because the isight wasn't working and it came back working fine... but now i am noticing that the spotlight search in finder is a lot slower than it used to be. it used to be immediately and results would show up when i typed in a single letter. now it takes over ten seconds to get any results...

this is frustrating and i was wondering if anyone has had this problem or has any idea on how to solve it.

thank you very much for your help :)

2. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Maybe they disabled indexing of something or maybe the system was archived and installed and it needs to be redone.

Go into your Sys Prefs, Spotlight, Privacy, and see if anything important is listed in that section. By default Spotlight should index everything unless it is listed in the Privacy tab.

3. ellmani thread starter macrumors newbie

i checked and nothing was listed in the privacy section, earlier tonight i also followed some advice on the apple website that said to add everything to the privacy section and then remove it because it would reindex or something.

anyway thank you but it is still very slow :(

4. madog macrumors 65816

madog

I would say then to try running repair permissions through the Disk Utility.

5. ellmani thread starter macrumors newbie

I repaired permissions but I still have the same problem, is there anything else I can do?

Thanks.

6. ellmani thread starter macrumors newbie

Problem solved, I guessed repairing permissions eventually worked.