Spotlight Search

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cosmaboy, Jun 30, 2009.

1. cosmaboy macrumors member

Hi,

Does anyone else think the Spotlight Search is a pain in the &*$£......

I am a huge iPhone fan and have had all of them and love using the phone but since i've had the phone i've not used the spotlight search for anything, I wish i could turn it off!!!

it's just a pain.

Anyone else got this view?

Maybe there should be a option whether to have it or not in future updates....

2. MasterTick macrumors 6502

I love it, you just start typing a person's name and you're making a call in less than 3 seconds.

3. cosmaboy thread starter macrumors member

yeah but just click on the phone icon and have your favourites and your making a call in less than 3 secs!!! no typing needed! just two clicks!

4. wazza12345 macrumors regular

Gotta agree, i find the built in search useless... id happily disable it..
    hope its not running index services as well!

5. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

I love it. I never go past page two anymore. I just launch from Spotlight.

And if the person I'm calling isn't in my favorites, I use it to dial. That or voice control.

Did I mention I love it? :cool:

6. wazza12345 macrumors regular

7. tico24 macrumors 6502

tico24

It would only be useful if it actually searched everything, especially things like settings.

Then I could turn bluetooth on/off quicker, or I wouldn't have to hunt around the phone settings to find that tethering is hidden in the network menu etc.

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Another thing it needs to do is search within emails. Right now it only searches titles and the to/from fields.

9. wazza12345 macrumors regular

Exactly, useless. What use is a search that doesn't search everywhere? It's like if google only indexed half the web...

10. joro macrumors 68020

joro

I personally enjoy it for the fact it does search contacts, applications, and the iPod all at once, it’s actually sped up the process and time from unlock to action. I agree, it’s lame that it doesn’t search all of mail but if I’m looking for something I just end up going into mail anyway.

11. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I guess it leaves them something to update :D

12. chriszzz macrumors 6502

I don't get all of this complaining about how spotlight is a pain and annoying. If you don't like it, then don't use it. What's the problem?

13. cosmaboy thread starter macrumors member

It's a pain that if u don't want to use it, u can't turn it off.

Yes I know it's on a main screen with a swipe left and a single click on the home button take u to it, But if u don't use it, it is always there.

I started the thread as I wanted to see peoples reation to it, as I would like a option in settings that would allow u to switch it off, therefore not being able to access it.

Just my thoughts..., also different colours / themes would be good. Any thoughts?

14. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

My love for Spotlight can barely be expressed. I don't care about how I organize my programs, I just find them through spotlight. I can search calendar, email subjects (which I find helpful), and a search of a person gives me all notes, calendar items, contact info, and emails between them and me. It's fantastics.

15. JonboyDC macrumors regular

While I completely agree with this, it's still a great step up to be able to at least search for something. And I like that when I search from the e-mail app, it will offer to search e-mails on the server (and not just the ones on the phone).

(Before this, my workaround would be to call my secretary, have her search for an e-mail, and then have her forward it to me. Not quite convenient.)