Spotlight Searching

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mac000, Nov 14, 2009.

1. mac000 macrumors 6502a

Hi- I need to have a question answered about searching in spotlight. Whnever I search for anythign, i find what I need but after I open the "app/filename" ... spotlight continues searching and it will continue to search until I "x-out" of the search field. Is this how spotlight works or can the search be turned off after selected a search result?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Are you sure it's searching? It might be indexing, which is indicated by a dot in the middle of the Spotlight icon.

Normal: Picture 2.jpg

Indexing: Picture 3.jpg

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's how it works, at least if you do it in a finder or other window -- you can think about it this way: you have a Finder window (or iTunes or whatever). When you type in a spotlight query, you ask that window to display all matching results. As long as that window is open and there is text in its spotlight bar, then its job is still to display matching information.

How long are spotlight searches taking anyway? They're pretty fast -- it shouldn't be looking for the next half a minute or something.

If you do want it to just stop after you found the file in question, I guess you can use the spotlight widget in the menubar -- it more or less behaves that way.

4. mac000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I normally use spotlight from the menubar and until i hit "escape" in spotlight- it will continue to search even a minute after opening a file from the spotlight search result. So i do a search, select a file, go back to spotlight, hit escape, back to file. I haven't checked but will spotlight just continue to search if I dont "x-out?"

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, it does... still not understanding why this concerns you so?

6. mac000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spotlight fixed itself somehow (reboot possibly?) what was happening was when spotlight searches there is a circular icon that swirls on the left hand side... well this swirl would just swirl and swirl and minutes after doing a search. I could hear the hard drive too... Now spotlight takes a few seconds to search and everything is back to normal

7. abstractpenguin macrumors newbie