Spotlight Shortcut Keys show conflict in SL

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jedijoe, Aug 30, 2009.

1. jedijoe macrumors 6502

jedijoe

Fresh install of SL. The spotlight shortcut keys show conflict, if I go into the keyboard prefs, no other shortcut is listed with either of the two spotlight shortcuts: cmd-space and opt-cmd-space. Spotlight seems unaffected by this and the key bindings seem to work no problem.

Anyone else experience these warnings in the Spotlight prefs?

Attached Files:

2. jasone6 macrumors member

this has puzzled me forever… and still hasn't been fixed. Spotlight prefs warn you of a conflict! (with… um… itself!) No idea why this is, but as you said—the shortcuts still work.

Personally, I'd find it very helpful if OS X included a table of all the shortcuts, so you can easily see what's being used, and what's not. Often, I find myself executing shortcuts without thinking… but then not remembering what they're associated with when I'm not using that particular application.

3. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Open System Preferences->Keyboard, Keyboard Shortcuts and hunt around and find the shortcuts that are the same and change or disable them.

4. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

The conflicting shortcuts aren't always listed there for some reason. For them to appear and to change them here's what I had to do.

Enter System Preferences > Language and Text > Input sources, and check more than one language in the left hand column. The "Keyboard Shortcuts..." button on the right will now become clickable. Then you can change the conflicting shortcuts that have now appeared in System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortuts > Keyboard and Text Input.

5. jasone6 macrumors member

Nice one… I just stumbled upon this answer tonight, and came back to report the same info…

Again—I think OS X should have some sort of robust keyboard shortcut app. One which:
    tracks all system shortcuts, regardless of whether they're enabled or not
    tracks all application-specific shortcuts
    shows an easy-to-understand grid/matrix so the user can see what's used and what isn't.

Just my $.02.