Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

larsting

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2009
Hi!

I'm new here and quite new to mac as well.

Until now I've used the shortcut for spotlight (ctrl-spacebar) a lot. But suddenly it doesn't function any more. When I go to the preferences and hint the spotlight-icon, nothing happens. If I click it again, it opens, but with the shortcut selections in the bottom erased.

I have a Intel Leopard 10.5.6 MacBook.

Can anyone help?

Thanx

lars

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I assume you were confused when you said CTRL+Spacebar - you mean CMD+Spacebar?

larsting

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2009
Well - you can assign either CTRL+Spacebar or CMD+Spacebar to do the job. :) The problem is, that none of them functions in my OSX...

TJJ

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2005
Bern, CH
Fixed yet?

Did you get to fix the problem?

Same for me: assigned shortcut doesn't work, if i click on "Spotlight" in preferences it says "loading" (but it doesn't), I have to click it twice...

Also: Spotlight doesn't "find" applications (activated in preferences).

Brand new MacBook Pro 15", up to date...

Any ideas?

marvin*1*2

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2007
Yrp!
same problem

i have the same problem...
every once in a while, pressing cmd-spacebar does not invoke spotlight search anymore.
only after going into sys-preferences - keyboard shortcuts to reset the shortcut for spotlight (cmd-spacebar) again, it works for another while...

also, pressing the spotlight icon in sys-prefs also doesn't work anymore unless I go someplace else first in the sys-prefs.

I have a feeling this problem appears since 10.5.6 ... :confused:

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006
Hi,

Same problem here and it started very recently. I get the error alert sound when I hit CMD space and when I go to spotlight preferences, the shortcut area is blank and even if I select CMD space it'll go blank the next time I open it up.

What's goin on guys?

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006
fixed it

did a software update and it did the trick. I'm guessing it was updating to 10.5.7

RawFisher

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2009
Called apple and got it solved...

Hi Everyone. Yesterday I got my new MacBook Pro (YEEHHAAA), migrated all mi data and checked my essential files via Spotlight, for which I used the shortcut Command+Spacebar.

Then, I did the updates... since it was brand new it took a bit to download all the new thingies needed. I guess it updated to 10.5.7.

After the update my Spotlight shortcut stopped working. It wouldn't work if I went to Preferences and hit Spotlight, here it would "Load" forever, until I clicked spotlight again. Then I'd assign a shortcut, but as soon as preferences were closed it disappeared.

So I called apple and after a few automated questions someone picked up; I told him the issue; he put me on hold for a couple minutes and came back with the solution.

Apparently a recent update (10.5.7?) resets the Keyboard shortcuts. So, go to Preferences/KeyBoard & Mouse, Scroll down to Spotlight; it should be unchecked. Well, check it... sit back, and enjoy the ride. :)

Cheers!

we-design

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2009
Germany
Solution for the Spotlight Shortcut thing

Hi there, I've had exactly the same problem. But now i found a solution that seem to work!

- After klicking the Spotlight Menu-Item twice (once<- it doesn't apear), I disabled the two Spotlight Shortcut Checkbox's and returned to the sys-pref. then I was able to get back into the Spotlightmenu by single-clikcing (YEAH). Well, all changes I made in the menu were saved (the disabled boxes), so I re-activated them and set the Spotlight shortcut back to "CMD-Spacebar". After returning back to the Sys-Pref. the Spotlight Shortcuts were working again!
(and till does :D)

Good Luck, Tobi

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.