Spotlight show all?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by NJPitcher, Oct 28, 2007.

1. NJPitcher macrumors regular

2. Cheesecake macrumors member

It's there for me. Not sure why it's not showing up for you.

3. NJPitcher thread starter macrumors regular

Hm, I get sent to the finder where it just searches in the finder - :(

4. Cheesecake macrumors member

I read your post wrong, I see the 'show all' but you're right it sends me to the finder and shows me things from there too instead of the cool, calm, and collected list it used to show.

5. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I really want this too. I wish there was a fix, but I haven't seen anything. :( the category lists were so helpful and you could collapse some, or open some. Nice.

Bring it back

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

there isnt a "fix"! get that into your head! thats how apple has decided to implement the show all feature. deal with it.

7. NJPitcher thread starter macrumors regular

I just don't understand why, it seems uniformly worse - oh well.

8. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

i agree, i wish apple would allow an option to revert to the tiger style 'show all' window!

9. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Me too! I'm so surprised they changed to this. I also wish they'd bring back searching of additional files automatically like preferences.

10. hollerz macrumors 6502a

hollerz

I also can't believe they changed it. Personally I find it a lot harder to find files when they're all just lumped in one big list, the old Tiger window was much better. Hopefully they'll bring it back.

11. me_94501 macrumors 65816

me_94501

To me it makes more sense that the Show All command links to the Finder, but yeah, I agree that removing the "spotlight view" from searches was a step backward (remember that it existed for searches in the Finder on Tiger).

12. KyleC macrumors member

I have the same complaint. I really liked that succinct "show all view" with 5 of each file type.

Is this something new in leopard? or a setting i can change? I just noticed it was different.

Thanks,

13. iPoodOverZune macrumors regular

iPoodOverZune

Its downright fugly. I wish I could revert back to tiger style. I have been offended before by this style but never so much as today that it is prompting me to post just to vent my anger. :mad:

I am using spotlight quite a bit today to search through my old files to write a manuscript. boy, this new style is just insane. Use finder if you will, but at least organize it like the way it was in tiger. This is the style they must have started with during Tiger beta, not what they should have in Leopard. :(

14. benpatient macrumors 68000

didn't anyone tell you?

You're using the Leopard Beta right now.

Of course, they are going to charge you 129 dollars again next summer when they release the REAL Leopard (Snow Leopard), but i digress.

My biggest complaint with the new spotlight is that it hides results that are relevant because its new "smart" feature thinks that filenames are irrelevant. Create a folder on your desktop called "1234567" and then search your computer for "234567". Your new folder will not appear in the results, if you can believe that. It will show up in a windows 95 search, and in an OS 8 search, and a Tiger search, but not Leopard. Add a "1" to the beginning of your search and poof! it suddenly warrants Leopard's interest. Brilliant.

15. macrlz9 macrumors 6502

macrlz9

I know this is an old thread, but I am searching for a solution... Has anyone found any type of hack or a 3rd party solution? Thanks.

16. mrrory macrumors regular

mrrory

Eugh, I hate this new view too, it's plain impossible to use compared to the old show all... Boo. My productivity using spotlight has just all but ground to a halt. Nice one Apple.