Spotlight Slow

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ee99ee, Apr 4, 2007.

1. ee99ee macrumors 6502

ee99ee

EDIT: Sorry, I hit enter too soon on my previous post... my bad...

I've had a mac for about 8 months now, and I love it. Dual Powermac G5, beefy machine that I use as my primary system. One thing I've never really used is Spotlight.

I've noticed from using it just now that it seems slow. It takes 5-10 seconds to get a result set, and the results are usually always so big it's a waste of time for me to sort through.

What are some tips for speeding up Spotlight and for getting better results?

What I would really like to do is get rid of all my folders in Mail.app, but that's scary at the moment. :) I'm looking into MailTag.

2. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well, there's a few things you could do. For a start, you could reindex your drive. If that doesn't help, then head to the Spotlight Preferences and uncheck some of the unnecessary items that you mightn't need to search for (such as fonts or whatever).

4. iJawn108 macrumors 65816

iJawn108

I was just about to post exactly what mad jew said. I have it turned off for everything but apps,images,documents folders and images from the preference pane. i just dont have the need for it to keep my music organized or bookmarks.