Spotlight sort order

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by bp1000, Nov 5, 2013.

1. bp1000 macrumors 65816

I search for a few file names everyday, they are actually google drive spreadsheets which are updated daily by various people.

On mountain lion when i searched for the first part of the name it appeared at the top. Now i have to type the name space gsh (for gsheet) and it will put it at the top. Mild inconvenience but... is there any way i can re-order to get the gsheet at the top so i don't have to type practically the entire file name? It appears but at the very bottom of the list.

I know spotlight can be re-ordered by dragging the various file types in the spotlight preferences menu, however unless i'm blind ghseet falls under other and other does not have an option in spotlight preferences.

2. xylitol, Nov 5, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013

xylitol macrumors regular

Do you get too many search results also if you search by name and not by content (default)? Or is searching by name (when it's not default) another mild inconvenience, as reported here:
    http://www.macworld.com/article/1158303/search_file_name.html

What happens if you type "name: .gsheet" (without the quotes)? Still too many results?

In general, there are more possibilities to arrange search results (and restrict the search area!) if you access Spotlight in a Finder window and not from the menu bar icon. You could e.g. click the search field and go to Finder menu, View>Arrange by>Date [something suitable], and after that all recently updated files would be at the top when you do Spotlight searches. Or you could create a smart folder (see above link) so that you would have access from within any Finder window sidebar to a search that only searches by name and/or particular folders.

If tags work in Google Drive folder, I would perhaps use them instead of Spotlight search.