Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

osarid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2014
Hi I just installed iOS 8 GM. I go to settings-general-spotlight and mark V on Spotlight suggestions & bing search and then quit, then try to use this feature, it doesn't work. By the way, when I get back to the settings this two are not marked.

Anyone?

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Mine crashed maybe twice on first install. and spotlight took a little while to come back.

For the spotlight equivalent, i'd imagine the phone may have to do the equivalent of an indexing of your apps notes emails etc.

Give it a day, turn phone off and on again

osarid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2014
Hi, I gave it 4 day since I have installed it. I think it's not issue of indexing because it need to give you suggestion not to search your phone

TommyA6

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2013
Hi I just installed iOS 8 GM. I go to settings-general-spotlight and mark V on Spotlight suggestions & bing search and then quit, then try to use this feature, it doesn't work. By the way, when I get back to the settings this two are not marked.

Anyone?

It's not working for me either:confused:

Have no idea why...

Yun0

macrumors 68000
Jun 12, 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
works fine on iphone 5, works a little too fine..had to turn off spotlight suggestion location service cause once its used it never turns off & the battery life shows it fast

try reset all settings

k.sumit

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2014
I have the same problem. Is this only US?

Same here! Tried everything and did a complete reset too since I just bought one and had little data to loose. Still cannot check Bing and Spotlight suggestions. They uncheck themselves once I move out of settings.

Xeanor

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2011
Same here on iOS 8 with iPad Mini Retina, they keep unchecking themselves.... anyone?

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Settings app instantly crashes if I touch the Bing search option.

k.sumit

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2014
OT! Dont you guys feel that after upgrading to iOS 8 the UI is a bit choppy? Try and scroll through wallpapers and you'll find out. Also, while swiping from left to right to navigate between settings, it lags occasionally. Further, 8 out of 10 times when I wake up my device using the fingerprint scanner, the animation shutters. It could be just me but these are a few things I've noticed so far. Spotlight web search still doesn't work for me. Not sure if its connected to Spotlight Suggestions since its not available in my country at the moment.

mejsric

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2013
OT! Dont you guys feel that after upgrading to iOS 8 the UI is a bit choppy? Try and scroll through wallpapers and you'll find out. Also, while swiping from left to right to navigate between settings, it lags occasionally. Further, 8 out of 10 times when I wake up my device using the fingerprint scanner, the animation shutters. It could be just me but these are a few things I've noticed so far. Spotlight web search still doesn't work for me. Not sure if its connected to Spotlight Suggestions since its not available in my country at the moment.

I'm using 5s and i think it is smoother than iOS 7

Menopause

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2011
Same problem here. In Germany so it should work. Tried changing Region settings but Spotlight Suggestions and Bing just automatically deselect themselves in Settings. Happening on iPhone 6 Plus as well as iPad Air.

Bugs galore iOS 8 ugh :mad:

kumrabai

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2009
Nairobi
Not loving this

I have a US iTunes account, but live at the moment in Kenya. I'm not appreciating at all the lack of Spotlight suggestions functionality here. I saw a suggestion somewhere that you had to change your language and region to match each other, but that has not worked either.

So I get that we may not get all functionality - but I really thought suggestions was one of the cooler aspects of iOS 8 and I'm kinda bummed not to have it....

fuoco

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2014
After trying for a long time, it now works for me on both devices. What I had to do is in settings general, set the region and the device language to match. I used to have English as language, but the region set to germany or wherever I currently live and it didn't work.
It works now since a few days when I set it to English and region United States or United Kingdom.

Yun0

macrumors 68000
Jun 12, 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
seems fine in ios 8.1 beta 1 but spotlight suggestions still constantly uses location after its been triggered once, have to force disable it. in 8.0.2 try toggling the spotlight location service along with spotlight suggestions & bing search settings, upon doing that it also worked in 8.0.2

Attachments

• IMG_4399.PNG
    IMG_4399.PNG
    341 KB · Views: 214

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
All of a sudden Spotlight doesn't suggest applications on my iPhone 6, even though it is selected in Settings. It searches contacts, the web, emails, but not apps (which is all I ever use it for). It worked fine until today. Occasionally rebooting works temporarily, but right now it isn't helping.

I did reinstall iOS 8.0.2 yesterday to solve another issue (in which it wasn't updating apps). I wonder if this is firmware-related, or if I have a shaky iPhone 6 that just seems to be having issues with iOS installation.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Update: After I reinstalled iOS 8.0.2 and let Spotlight reindex, it's been working fine now.

Fearz

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2012
Anyone out of the listed countries have this work?

I have all settings to the US but im not physically there...but still...it won't work, going crazy here!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.