Spotlight suggestions is only available in some countries

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by nalbagli, Jul 13, 2015.

1. nalbagli macrumors 6502

One of my favorite features of iOS 9 and OS X El Capitan, are the enhancements of Spotlight including the suggestions which include features as web results to the searches. I am from Chile and since I installed the beta I could never get this features to work, but today I arrived to the US on a trip, and all features work as expected.
    The same think happened to me with Siri suggestions with the places and news recommendations.

So really it makes absolutely no sense to me why would apple do such thing as restricting to a few countries a key features in their OS such as the enhancements of Spotlight, I am really disappointed with this as I found it to be one of the most important features they updated, and I really can make no sense at all on why they are doing this.

2. ZEEN0j macrumors 6502a

I don't have the beta myself. But a lot of people are having issues with spotlight suggestions. Could be a coincidence that it started working when you arrived to the U.S. At least this is what I think/hope.

3. nalbagli thread starter macrumors 6502

4. danleon950410 macrumors regular

danleon950410

Guys, i'm from Colombia. Spotlight Suggestions and App Suggestions have not been enabled in here SINCE IOS 8.0!

We're also living with a SIRI that always says "I'm sorry, Daniel, I can't look for places in Colombia" since iOS 5.

That's not a bug, neither restrictions...It's simply not yet implemented in some countries...And in my case, i don't think i will be available soon.

5. nalbagli thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah it sucks, even though I can understand that some things like locations do not work on certain countries, it does not makes sense at all that Spotlight suggestions such as Weather, Sports or other type of web results do not work. It is really disappointing from a company like Apple

6. ZEEN0j macrumors 6502a

Think I misunderstood at first. I was thinking about the proactive search for some reason. But yes spotlight suggestions I can check in settings but I can only search for what's on my device or web and wiki. We finally got siri in Sweden this year though with location search as well.

7. nalbagli thread starter macrumors 6502

I could finalli confirm, Siri AND Spotlight suggestions are only available on some countries, on my travel to the US my iPhone and Mac where completely functional for with the Betas including Siri suggestions such as news and places, also spotlight on my Mac gave me wikipedia search results. Now I'm back on my country (and even though I have my iPhone region set on the US, non of this features are working again.

It really sucks and makes no sense at all that apple restricts this type of features for some regions, for me it's one of the most important features of the OS and I can't use them. Too bad!

8. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Let me give you a very good example of features limitation on apple services: China.

China is not in the list of news app available countries. China is also excluded from enjoying apple music. ITunes store is also not available in China. The only thing available in China, is app store.

Feature limitation is possible due to, say, local law requirements, copyright agreements, and something even more.

9. or334 macrumors newbie

So far in Israel, only Siri Suggestions (Apps & Contacts) are working.
    Also, many more things, especially with Proactive Siri, doesn't work either:
    Imporved search on Spotlight, adding events to calendar, automatic navigator to home, etc..

10. nalbagli thread starter macrumors 6502

Hope Apple could change this, it's really frustrating not being able to use such important features and that apple promotes that much

11. stooovie macrumors 6502a

Many if not most new features in 9 are US-only :-/

12. golosin2 macrumors member

You could set it up like if you were in Spain...