Spotlight Trouble

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mrgreen4242, May 28, 2007.

1. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I started having this problem (I think) when I updated to 10.4.9. My issue is that the "main spotlight" interface doesn't work - that is, when I press cmd-space and type in a search I get nothing - not even a "no results" message.

Spotlight works, however, if I access it from a finder window. So, the index is there and the search IS working, but not from all the search locations. I've tried rebuilding permissions, but to no avail. Any tips?

Thanks!

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

What about pressing the icon in the top left?

3. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

I've had this problem before: You press apple+space and the icon highlights blue, but nothing pops-down? I'm not sure if that's what you have. Either way, did you restart? That's what fixed my spotlight problem.

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Try rebuilding your spotlight index.

open up system prefs->spotlight
    add your entire hard drive to the privacy list and then remove it
    That will force spotlight to reindex your files.

You could also try deleting the spotlight .plist file and see if that helps.

5. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I assume you mean the top right? The top left is the Apple menu, top right is the spotlight icon, which is the same as command-space. :)
    I THINK so, but I'll try that gain... so un-used to rebooting this thing. :p
    That was my last ditch plan... the index seems OK, since it searches via the finder interface OK, but who knows. I just didn't want to have to wait for it. :p I'll do that if a reboot doesn't take care of it.

Well, here goes! Thanks for your help...

6. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Yes I did, and what's your answer?

7. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Er, it does the same thing as cmd-space. Both normally and in my case.

8. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Have you installed any haxies (menufela, shapeshifter etc) ?

Try repairing permissions (in Disk Utility) :)

9. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

Assuming rebuilding permissions and repairing them is the same thing, it's been done.

I'm anxious to see how this turns out. It's strange that it works within finder but not apple+space.

10. Star Destroyer macrumors 6502

I am having the same the spotlight problem, it just highlights blue when i press cmd+space, its really annoying because i use it all of the time..

What was the ACTUAL solution? delete the plist file? disk repair? i am curious i dont wanna do something to mess up my macbook...

Thanks everyone, this is frustrating but we all go through it eventually right...

Star

11. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Sorry I didn't get back to the thread faster... rebooted and it made things worse! :p Spotlight stopped working at all after that. So, I then added it to the Privacy list and took it out, but that didn't do anything. Then I went to bed and work kept me off my computer for a week or two (or however long it's been). Got back to it today, and figured I'd try the add/remove private list one more time before I got medieval on OSX...

Left it on the list for a few minutes this time; closed the Preferences dialog and started a transfer in TiVoDecodeManager then went back and took it out of the list. Seems to be working now, I'll now in 2 or 3 hours. I think that the index got corupt, but maybe Finder keeps its own cache of the index or something so it wasn't until the reboot that the Finder search stopped working.

Thanks to everyone for their help! If I don't post back here in 2 or 3 hours saying it still doesn't work then the add/remove to the privacy list (and leaving it there for a couple minutes in between) worked for me.