.Spotlight-v100 file in PC ?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by xuesheng, Dec 21, 2009.

1. xuesheng macrumors newbie

I run Windows XP on a PC. So I am surprised to find a folder on my C drive called .Spotlight-v100. I see by googling this name that it is a feature of the Mac operating system and has something to do with file indexing. But I don't understand why it has appeared on my computer. I have iTunes and QuickTime installed, and Safari, but this is not a Mac OS. Can anyone tell me what program I might have installed that would have caused this folder to be created? I also have installed Copernic Desktop Search which indexes files, as I understand it. Thanks.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

At any time have you used an external drive or flash drive that was used on a Mac? Copied any files/folders from a Mac to the PC?

3. Jaffa Cakes! macrumors newbie

Macs also appear to index network drives, Windows shares all hard drives it has as hidden, so it could be the Mac saw it and began to index it... maybe?

4. Mumford macrumors regular

Macs won't index network shares that are available but aren't connected. I can't imagine the kind of network traffic/system load this would create in a good-sized corporate environment.