Spotlight web content process is causing MacBook to slow/freeze every time Spotlight

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by sosaysi, Apr 30, 2015.

1. sosaysi macrumors newbie

Recently, every time I do a spotlight search my computer starts heating up and going very slow or freezing. I checked Activity Monitor and realized it's because Spotlight is launching a process called Spotlight Web Content that for some reason starts consuming 50%+ of my CPU and upwards of 500MB of RAM. Sometimes it automatically quits after a few minutes, but most of the time I have to go to activity monitor and force quit the process.

I know that Spotlight Web Content is used for the suggestions in the new spotlight search, so I went to System Preferences and unchecked "Allow Spotlight Suggestions in Spotlight and Look up" as well as "Bing Web Searches". Yet this has not resolved the problem. I also tried repairing my permissions in Disk Utility, to no avail.

Finally, I tried turning off the Safari preference to include Spotlight search suggestions. Still not working.

Any ideas on how I can get Spotlight Web Content to stop running?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I believe you need to disable it here in Safari also.

[​IMG]

3. sosaysi thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes sorry I wasn't clear on that but I already did try unchecking those preferences in Safari.

4. Kiwi 99 macrumors regular

Kiwi 99

I was researching this very same question and found an answer that works.

System Preferences > Spotlight > Search Results Tab > UNTICK "Bookmarks and History"

Then quit and restart Safari. Might take half a minute for some of the processes to go away. From then on, you won't see these processes again.
    Helps a lot with battery life too, to not be always doing that extra unnecessary work.

5. sosaysi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I'm still having the same problem after unchecking the Bookmarks and History option in Spotlight preferences. Any other ideas?