Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yesjam

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2014
One thing I particularly dislike about Yosemite is that spotlight searches do not always display the web search option when no other relevant information is found locally. In Mavericks and many iterations of OS X prior, "search google for ___" was always an option when using Spotlight, but in Yosemite, the Bing search functionality only appears on occasion.

Is there any way I can fix this?

AspectRatio

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2014
One thing I particularly dislike about Yosemite is that spotlight searches do not always display the web search option when no other relevant information is found locally. In Mavericks and many iterations of OS X prior, "search google for ___" was always an option when using Spotlight, but in Yosemite, the Bing search functionality only appears on occasion.

Is there any way I can fix this?

I'm having the same problem. In Mavericks I could use Spotlight to search the web for any string of characters. In Yosemite, the search term has to match something that's already indexed. A big step backward in my opinion. I hope Apple fixes this.

It's also very inconsistent that you can choose a search engine in Safari prefs, but Spotlight limits you to Bing. It looks like a case of business revenue vs. usability, and business wins.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.