Spotlight with Entourage and IMAP

blodwyn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 28, 2004
Portland, Oregon
Just ordered Tiger and looking forward to it.

Does anyone who's tested it know if Entourage (Exchange) mail is indexed by Spotlight? I also use Apple Mail with personal mail held on an IMAP server, does Spotlight index IMAP mail?

Thanks

hodgjy

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2005
I think so

Entourage stores all your email messages in a temp folder, even if they're from an IMAP server. So I think spotlight will be able to index your emails on Entourage.

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
According to this article Microsoft will release an update to Office 2004 in the next couple of months, and I imagine Spotlight support in Entourage will be added then. If they do add Spotlight support in Entourage, I can't imagine they would miss IMAP users.

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
hodgjy said:
I think that update is specifically for VPC 7.01.
"For example, upon installation of the new OS, Spotlight will be able to index Word, Excel and PowerPoint formats," according to a statement offered by a Microsoft spokesperson. "Support for additional features such as sync services will be enabled by a future update."

blodwyn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 28, 2004
Portland, Oregon
Thanks for the replies, just a small clarification to my question - I use Entourage to connect to an Exchange server at work, so I was curious whether Spotlight would be able to index the emails. I have a rule set up which copies all emails from the Exchange server to a local inbox in Entourage, so as long as Entourage supports Spotlight or vice versa then it should be OK. May have to wait for this to happen in an update I suppose.

I only access my IMAP personal mail using Apple Mail, so I'm hoping that Spotlight will treat IMAP mail on the server the same as POP mail which is downloaded to a local mailbox.