spotlight?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Afbar1114, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Afbar1114 macrumors 6502a

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Spotlight is used by your system to find files on your system when you search, whether you search with the Spotlight search window on the Menu Bar, or whether you search in Finder. You don't want to turn it off.

3. Afbar1114 thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You never search for any files on your computer? Even if you don't, there's no advantage to disabling Spotlight, even if you could. It's integral to Mac OS X.

5. 7even macrumors 6502a

Easy. Go to System Preferences, Spotlight, click on Privacy, then drag your "Macintosh HD" (or whatever you named your hard drive) in there.

I don't see why you'd do this though.

6. rikbrown macrumors regular

Try using Spotlight a bit (or an alternative like Alfred).
    You will learn to love it and then will ask yourself "why did I ever raise a thread asking how to disable it?"

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

This terminal command will turn it off entirely.

Code:
    sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.metadata.mds.plist
    Use this command to turn it back on.

Code:
    sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.metadata.mds.plist
    The only real benefit I can see is it will save some small amount of system resources used by the MDS worker daemon that indexes Spotlight. If you don't use or need it, I can't think of anything it would harm.