'spotlighting' on MBA 13" screen?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by mrklaw, Jul 26, 2011.

1. mrklaw macrumors 68000

Just started noticing some 'spotlighting' at the bottom of my 13" 2011 air screen. Mainly noticeable on bright screens (like this forum..) as brighter cones of backlight.

Anyone else noticed this?

2. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

Yes - it's just a bit of unevenness in the LED lighting. I had this on my 2010 MBA as well. I think everyone focuses in massively on pretty small things when they first get a machine like this - after noticing it in the first few weeks with the MBA, I never really noticed it again.

3. mrklaw thread starter macrumors 68000

quick pic. Had to fiddle in photoshop to emphasise it, as it didn't really come out in the photo well.
    [​IMG]

4. unagimiyagi macrumors 6502a

That looks out of specifications and I would absolutely return it.
    Hey, if Apple's going to willfully tout themselves as a premium brand, then we should hold them to that standard. it's why they can get away with charging more.

5. mrklaw thread starter macrumors 68000

I'd better get my machine backed up to time machine for easy migration - or will Apple migrate to a new machine for me?

6. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Mine has the exact same shape toward the bottom left.

I assume its a design issue, probably not a whole lot they can do about it - I also saw it on the models in-store. Doesn't bother me to be honest, playing with the contrast on Photoshop can make anything look far worse than it actually is to the eye.

7. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

Please notice that this is not the actual appearance - this was photoshopped. It doesn't look that bad in person does it? I have a similar location for the slightly brighter areas, but it isn't anywhere near as noticeable as that.

8. mrklaw thread starter macrumors 68000

no, its enhanced in photoshop as its difficult to show in a photo.

but in use - on offwhite/grey screens like macrumors etc, its very noticeable. If my eyes are reading something 2/3 way down the screen, my peripheral vision really shows it up. and if I'm reading something right at the bottom inch or so of the screen in those lit up areas, its also very noticeably lighter than the surroundings.

I can live with the gradient, but other screens in the apple store yesterday did look better (although the lighting in the store might affect that) so I'll take it back and see what apple say.

9. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

Yes I had this on mine, got it exchanged and now mine is perfect.