Spotlight's broken, folks. Some assistance?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by revelated, Oct 7, 2010.

1. revelated macrumors 6502a

revelated

OK, so it's not "broken" per se, but it's broken meaning its implementation is really not ideal.

So Spotlight wants to index any new drive it finds. You can then add drives to the list that you don't want indexed. Great. There are two problems with this approach.

1: If you add a drive to the list that Spotlight already started indexing, it will continue to thrash the drive until its finished. This was a major issue on the drive I use for my VMs.

2: Apparently, Spotlight does not contain basic file name search in lieu of indexed search ala Windows. So in other words, if you disable Indexing in Windows and attempt to do a search, it will perform the search anyway; just slower. Here it seems that Spotlight just returns nothing because it doesn't have an index, rather than just performing the search without the index (because it IS possible).

As such, I need another solution. There are infrequent times I need to do a casual search across all of my 10 drives for one file that I've shuffled off to a folder somewhere. I know its file name, know its file type, but not exactly where it is. How can I do this search without Spotlight?

2. revelated thread starter macrumors 6502a

revelated

Unlike many people, I actually read reviews, given I'm a top reviewer myself.

Yeah, I don't think I'll be running that. Next?

3. Hal Itosis macrumors 6502a

Hal Itosis

If you're talking about 'search by name': Find Any File

If you're ALSO talking about 'search by content' (without any index): EasyFind

Both free.

4. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

Since the subject of other methods is being discussed, I am just wondering why not just have spotlight index every drive. I don't mean this necessarily as an option, I'm just curious why you wouldn't. I have several external drives and I don't exclude any of them. Just wondering. :confused:

5. hasebe macrumors newbie

6. revelated thread starter macrumors 6502a

revelated

Because:
    Spotlight running on a VM drive = VM performance impact.
    Spotlight running on movie drive = movie performance impact.
    Spotlight running on music drive = music playback performance impact.

Those are my big three. The VM one is the most critical. It's already a 7200 RPM drive as it is yet Spotlight brings VM performance to its knees because it's scanning every single sub file of the VM and all of the VMDKs in order to exclude them by file type. That thrashing of the drive really does hurt VM, and I can't host the VM on my internal SSD as it's only 80 GB, 70 of which I'm actively using at all times (for another VM that is used for work).

Ok, that FindAnyFile is PERFECT, exactly what I'm looking for. Hal Itosis, I owe you a Mentos.