Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rick987611

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2008
I’ve got what looks like a couple water spots on the face of my SS spaceblack Apple Watch. I’ve had no luck getting them off. Any ideas?

Attachments

• B034425C-1F63-4498-A6AC-6FD55D6C757F.jpeg
    B034425C-1F63-4498-A6AC-6FD55D6C757F.jpeg
    908.1 KB · Views: 3,060

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I’ve got what looks like a couple water spots on the face of my SS spaceblack Apple Watch. I’ve had no luck getting them off. Any ideas?

I saw thread on this previously. It might have been something that came in contact with the Oleophobic coating causing a reaction or the spots are under the display. Which Series? Any water submersion with the Watch?

You could try a microfiber cloth, and a very minimal amount of warm water and rubbing alcohol, and see if that removes it as well.

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
I saw something on my watch the first time today while in the sun. Upper left hand corner had an elongated mark and there was a small mark to the south west of it. Not sure of the cause and it looks like it's under the glass.

Ad13

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2015
Manchester, UK

I had these marks after using strong cr cleaning detergents. They will not come off with any household cleaning product or cloth. I resorted to using automotive compound for polishing paint by hand and then waxing the glass afterwards to restore that slippery surface finish. Worked an absolute treat! Perfectly clean glass and resists fingerprints.

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
I had these marks after using strong cr cleaning detergents. They will not come off with any household cleaning product or cloth. I resorted to using automotive compound for polishing paint by hand and then waxing the glass afterwards to restore that slippery surface finish. Worked an absolute treat! Perfectly clean glass and resists fingerprints.

You used polishing compound? Won't that remove the coating Apple applied to the display?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

I believe you when you say everything worked out in removing the markings on the display, but your method(s) of doing so is not something For anyone to attempt, mainly the results could be variable based on a lot of things.

Ad13

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2015
Manchester, UK
I believe you when you say everything worked out in removing the markings on the display, but your method(s) of doing so is not something For anyone to attempt, mainly the results could be variable based on a lot of things.

It worked. Forgot to say that I’d only use it on my SS sapphire glass and not the sport model.

My options were have a severely stained glass screen or try something else. I’m very familiar with how these products work and where and when they can be used as I work in the paint technology industry and deal with coatings and polishing all day everyday. The choice of abrasive is also important. A mild abrasive should be used, and air in the side of caution in use.

This process is no different to polishing car windscreens to remove traffic film remover staining.

Ad13

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2015
Manchester, UK
Can you say which specific products you used? Particularly the polishing compound?

I used Autoglym Rapid Renovator and Autoglym HD wax afterwards. These are available in UK and Europe quite freely. In the US, I’d use 3M Extra Fine (yellow top) Compound followed by any automotive wax.

Hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.