Spotted a Gold watch at Gatwick security this PM

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Mobileadam, May 22, 2015.

1. Mobileadam macrumors regular

I wasn't sure whether any gold watches had shipped but there was a chap at Gatwick Airport today putting back on a gold watch with what looked a white sports band (with a gold pin).

This is the first and only watch I've seen in the wild and typically is the most expensive. Personally I prefer the look of the SS.

2. techguy9 macrumors regular

techguy9

You're looking at it wrong :p

3. Fireball Dragon macrumors 6502a

Fireball Dragon

Definitely not for me. Even if I was a millionaire I wouldn't get one. Simply don't like gold gadgets/jewellery.

4. Mobileadam thread starter macrumors regular

It looked very gold. But then checking the Apple Store it seems only the rose gold comes with the white sports band. Wish I had struck up a conversation.

5. irentamac macrumors regular

irentamac

6. ZebraDude macrumors 6502a

ZebraDude

I fully agree if money was no object for me the SSSB Link Bracelet watch 42mm would be my choice.

7. bushido Suspended

bushido

nice. me on the other hand hasn't even seen a apple watch out in the wild besides my own lol

8. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

Tim Cook is a multi millionaire and he does not wear one. Of course maybe that is part of why he is a multi millionaire.

9. Fireball Dragon macrumors 6502a

Fireball Dragon

This is exactly my point. The Edition is a status symbol. I too would give someone wearing one a second look, that's just normal. Like seeing a Ferrari or something you don't see everyday.

----------

Me, too. I have the Space grey sports which should be with me in the next week or two, but if money was no object, I'd go for the SS Black link bracelet.

10. kmj2318 macrumors 68000

kmj2318

It could have been plated. If it looks really gold then I doubt it was rose. 24k (which is usually what's used in plating) has a really yellow look thats more yellow than the Apple's 18k yellow gold.

Tim Cook isn't a "millionaire next door" who saved properly and has a couple million dollars in a retirement fund. "Most rich people are rich because they don't spend it" is technically correct because most "rich" people aren't super rich. It's misleading when people apply that to the super rich. The super rich are not rich from saving.

11. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

I have no idea if he personally likes gold or not, but the idea that he's wearing the stainless to be frugal is ludicrous. He's the president of the company and could have dozens of the Edition watches at cost if he really wanted.

12. Mobileadam thread starter macrumors regular

He didn't look the sort to gold plate. Looked more the type to actual buy a gold version. But you never know. The strap pin seemed to match the watch but from memory they were definitely very yellow.

13. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

He may be a close associate of a higher-up at Apple and the watch was specially made. I'm sure they aren't just doing that for obvious celebrities.

14. JayLenochiniMac, May 23, 2015
    Last edited: May 23, 2015

JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You can't really judge based on looks.

From what I've seen, 24K gold is very yellow. 18K/14K looks like normal gold.