Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
I'm a watch nut and an Apple nut both in one. When Apple Watch was first announced, my wife told me she was really going to make fun of me if I got it. I told her it was a no brainer that I was going to get it.

Well, I got one when it released, and she followed through and busted my chops for quite awhile. All good natured of course.

Skip ahead, She's been getting very active, and she started showing interest in a fitness tracker. I suggested the Apple Watch, and she laughed at me, "no way I could wear that after the how much I made fun of you". Looking at the Fitbit Blaze and Alta, all reviews kept comparing these to the Apple Watch. I told her to go to Best Buy and let's take a look. The Blaze was too ugly, the Alta was not responsive to taps, the Microsoft Guy at Best Buy was wearing the Apple Watch and told her it was the best for tracking. We went over to take a look. She tried on the Rose Gold with Lavender straps. "This is the one I want". Hah Hah!!! So they went on sale that Sunday, the kids and I gave it to her yesterday for Mothers Day. She loves it. Guess who's busting who's chops ;)

Curious what your spouses out there think of it?

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
My wife bought me mine.

She still doesn't want one, though. She doesn't wear a watch anyway.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
She got mine for me last Father's Day and has no interest in one for herself. The kids are also getting them - so far, 2 daughters and one son-in-law have them.

She does bust my chops over my collection of bands, though.

bandrews

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
I'm a watch nut and an Apple nut both in one. When Apple Watch was first announced, my wife told me she was really going to make fun of me if I got it. I told her it was a no brainer that I was going to get it.

Well, I got one when it released, and she followed through and busted my chops for quite awhile. All good natured of course.

Skip ahead, She's been getting very active, and she started showing interest in a fitness tracker. I suggested the Apple Watch, and she laughed at me, "no way I could wear that after the how much I made fun of you". Looking at the Fitbit Blaze and Alta, all reviews kept comparing these to the Apple Watch. I told her to go to Best Buy and let's take a look. The Blaze was too ugly, the Alta was not responsive to taps, the Microsoft Guy at Best Buy was wearing the Apple Watch and told her it was the best for tracking. We went over to take a look. She tried on the Rose Gold with Lavender straps. "This is the one I want". Hah Hah!!! So they went on sale that Sunday, the kids and I gave it to her yesterday for Mothers Day. She loves it. Guess who's busting who's chops ;)

Curious what your spouses out there think of it?

Complete indifference.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
My wife is happy with her fitbit. I may actually buy her another fitbit for her bday later this year.

She doesn't seem all that interested in the AW, but she does like her fitbit.

BlueMoon63

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2015
My wife gave up on me with any and all purchases I make for technology sake. She wanted a laptop and smartphone and I bought her a MacBook Air and IPhone and I am her technical support. She would never wear a watch - let alone a smart watch. She thinks everything I buy is a waste of money but she gave up commenting. :)

She just doesn't get it. :) she still believes technology should just work and still get frustrated when I tell her "just reboot" and then it works.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
Wife and I got ours on launch day and both have added bands over time. Wife talked several others into one as well. So, no issues here with having one myself nor her saying anything negative to me about it.

IJBrekke

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2009
Long Beach, CA
She settled on a Pebble Round for herself. Now that Verizon has unlocked text/voice reply functionality on the device she is completely satisfied with it. If I'm honest, there are very few things my AW can do well that her Pebble cannot do.

Even the 38mm is too big and unaesthetic for her taste.

chuyn

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2015
We both have one. She actually got hers first. I didn't think I'd want one right away but after hers arrived and I got to play with it, the order was placed for mine.

Reactions: DougFNJ

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Just like the OP, my fiancée busted my chops the day I purchased my AW back in July. But she also knows that I love Apple products as well. Fast forward to this past March. She began showing interest in the watch a couple months prior since she works out everyday. She's part of this group chat where a lot of the girls have FitBit's. One girl in the group had the rose gold AW and she said the watch would go great with her rose gold 6s that she planned on purchasing.

To make a long story short, I bought the rose gold AW for her birthday when Target had them on sale for $250. Her and the watch have been inseparable since.

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
I'm more of a gadget geek than my wife, and her reaction to the announcement of the Apple Watch was, well... no reaction. It had no appeal for her like it did for me. Her first reaction to seeing the Apple Watch in person was that it was really nice looking. She likes modern design and thought my Apple Watch Sport with the blue sports band looked great on my wrist (and on hers). She also likes how it looks with my third party leather bands…especially my black leather loop knockoff.

She did try the Apple Watch on and played with for awhile. The smile on her face reminded me of the look on her face when she first tried the iPhone. She said something like, "Okay, I get it. This is awesome, but I still don't want one for myself." At the time (July, 2015) I thought she would want her own in a matter of weeks. More than 10 months later she still doesn't want her own Apple Watch, but she has come to appreciate mine even more. For example when our kids are home with a baby sitter we can give the sitter my number and we will always know when the sitter calls or texts… even if we silence our phones to enjoy a movie or we are in a place to noisy to hear the phone ring anyway. She has also noted how easily I can set timers using Siri while cooking, and how convenient it is to grocery shop using a list on my watch (and Apple Pay as well). For her birthday I bought her some Philips Hue lights that we can control from our iPhones or from a dimmer switch on the wall, but I can also control them from my watch. I think that feature alone has tempted her to get an Apple Watch more than anything else. Well, that and the ability of the motion face to stop a 3-year-old's tantrum! :D

Maybe when I upgrade to the next version of the watch she will give my old one an extended try.

Sean

Reactions: Simche and DougFNJ

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
We have a mixed marriage. My husband is an Android guy and a die-hard Apple-hater. My parents bought him a Pebble a few years ago for his birthday, and he recently got himself the Classic Gear. I have to admit, that is a really nice looking watch (and can also use any band).

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
We have a mixed marriage. My husband is an Android guy and a die-hard Apple-hater. My parents bought him a Pebble a few years ago for his birthday, and he recently got himself the Classic Gear. I have to admit, that is a really nice looking watch (and can also use any band).

Heh - I considered going Android for my last Smartphone (despite having been an iOS users since the iPhone 3G). I didn't have a solid reason other than just being curious to give Android a try... especially since I use a lot of Google apps. My wife and our siblings, parents, grandparents, etc. are almost all iPhone users who share photos via Photostream and iMessage... so for me to switch would have ruffled some feathers and annoyed my dear wife. The thing is that I already knew I wanted a Smartwatch, and I knew that Apple would announce one soon and that it would likely be the best option on the market. So I bought an iPhone 6, and of course I have been very happy with it. Even happier with it paired to an Apple Watch.

When I upgraded to the iPhone 6 the store had the old comically large cuff-style Galaxy Gear watch on display. The newer watches from Samsung, Huawei and Pebble looks much nicer... but I think the Apple Watch still has more to offer for how I use mine.

Sean

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal

Damn, Woman! That there's grounds for divorce!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (just kidding!!!!!!!)
[doublepost=1462998464][/doublepost]before they came out, and before I tried one on.... I planned on giving hubby my old watch once the new one came out since he had no interest. but thanks to my tiny wrists and not being able to buy the larger watch put the kibosh on that!

xtshabi

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2015
Spouse has the Apple Watch in steel, while I have a sport.

She wears it more frequently than her finer watches, but she doesn't really use much function on it other than messaging app for checking.

Blueline29

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Saint Augustine, FL
My boyfriend loves that I love mine (though he's mildly horrified at the number of bands I have for it. Haha) but would most likely never wear one himself. He's rather the opposite of me when it comes to tech and only upgrades what he has out of absolute necessity. He just doesn't see the point in the AW, and that's OK by me. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.