spreadsheet/numbers help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by melissarae, May 4, 2008.

1. melissarae macrumors regular

melissarae

is it possible to have a spreadsheet where you can type in say a Part Number and it automatically pulls up a description of the part for that number in the next field? Also, in that same row for the same Part Number can it automatically pull up a Weight/Count number in another field? Does that make sense?

basically i have a spreadsheet where i have part number, quantity, description, ct/wt, unit price, and total columns. i'd like it to be able to know when i enter the part number it automatically fills in the description, ct/wt, and unit cost... so that when i put in the quantity it does the math for me in the total column.

is this realistic or am i wishful thinking here?

2. OzExige macrumors 6502

OzExige

Hi Mellisa

Go to 'Help' and search for 'LOOKUP', it's only a matter of entering all the info you want to lookup, anywhere on the spreadsheet, you will find lots of ways to refine the data and some clever ways to use it. Experiment :)

3. melissarae thread starter macrumors regular

melissarae

ok that helps... but do i have to have that table in the same document for it to know whats what?

4. OzExige macrumors 6502

OzExige

VLOOKUP would be better in your case
    'The VLOOKUP function retrieves a value from a range of columns by using a match with a left column value to choose the row and a column number to choose the column in that row.'

To answer your question look at 'The Numbers Window', it refers to 'Sheets pane to see a list of the tables and charts on any sheet.'

good luck.

5. melissarae thread starter macrumors regular

melissarae

ok it's really really super late so i'm headed to bed cause i can't keep my eyes open any longer looking at this computer screen... i will mess with it again tomorrow evening and try to figure it out.

thanks for pointing me in the right direction and getting me started...

6. melissarae thread starter macrumors regular

melissarae

anyone else have any help or advice?

thanks ;o)