Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C.clavin

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2012
Hey all. Wondering if it's possible to have actively shared spreadsheet either pages or xls excel format across Mac/windows/iOS systems. Would like to have live inventory for my business with employees updating from the warehouse from their iOS devices for me to view on my Mac and windows systems in real-time. Is this possible at all?

Thanks for your input.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hey all. Wondering if it's possible to have actively shared spreadsheet either pages or xls excel format across Mac/windows/iOS systems. Would like to have live inventory for my business with employees updating from the warehouse from their iOS devices for me to view on my Mac and windows systems in real-time. Is this possible at all?
Your problem isn't going to be a Mac OS X/Windows/iOS issue. The problem is that you can't have multiple people editing the same file at the same time. The first one who opens the file can edit it. Anyone else who opens the same file simultaneously will open a read-only copy.

You're better off looking for a database system that allows multiple simultaneous edits.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
To add to G's reply, I'd recommend something like FileMaker with the side iOS apps to help keep in real time sync. Be aware, it will cost you.

C.clavin

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2012
Thanks for the replies. I was thinking something like Google Docs, where their spreadsheet is allowed to be edited by anybody currently in the file. We use it for fantasy football drafts that way and works smoothly. Maybe I should just use that if theres no better option.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Thanks for the replies. I was thinking something like Google Docs, where their spreadsheet is allowed to be edited by anybody currently in the file. We use it for fantasy football drafts that way and works smoothly. Maybe I should just use that if theres no better option.

Google Docs is the best option I know of. Editing spreadsheets there on the iPad or iPhone isn't great, as you may already know, but it works. I think that no one has come up with a better iOS GDocs editing scheme...all of the Google Docs apps that are sold seem to use the same web interface as Mobile Safari. No sense in buying them. No luck editing in an alternate browser (such as Atomic Web) either, no matter what browser "user agent" is selected.

Rizvi1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
Maryland

Google Docs is the best option I know of. Editing spreadsheets there on the iPad or iPhone isn't great, as you may already know, but it works. I think that no one has come up with a better iOS GDocs editing scheme...all of the Google Docs apps that are sold seem to use the same web interface as Mobile Safari. No sense in buying them. No luck editing in an alternate browser (such as Atomic Web) either, no matter what browser "user agent" is selected.

I'm looking for something similar and Google Docs seems like the best thing. It's great for computer-to-computer sharing. But not good for ios. Plus I would like the ability for whenever the shared sheet is updated for it to update or the icon light up or something on everyone's phones who's sharing the sheet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.