'Spring loaded' stack app launcher?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by big_malk, May 21, 2008.

1. big_malk macrumors 6502a

So I have a stack with all the apps I use regularly but can't fit them all in the dock all the time. For the 1000th time I just tried to drag an document into the stack, expecting it to open, but instead it opens the folder full of aliases! Although this does allow me to do what I want to do... couldn't it just open as a stack and close again after, instead of opening a window which isn't even big enough for me to see all the icons in it?!

Maybe :apple: could read this and add it into 10.5.3 before they release it :D

P.S. sorry if this has been covered before, that wouldn't surprise me, but I did search and I did find a big load of nothing.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Huh? I don't follow what you're trying to do, here. :confused:

3. big_malk thread starter macrumors 6502a

I want to drag a document to a stack, the stack pops up, I drop the doc into the application icon, it opens in that application, and the stack closes.

When you try to do this though, the stack doesn't open, the stack's folder opens in a Finder window, which is really annoying because the icons are in different places and you can't see them all; at least I can't with my folder. And the you have to close the finder window manually.

It wouldn't be hard to implement, but it would really improve the 'app launcher' stack if you could easily drop documents into apps in the stacks.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Oh, I see now... I agree, this would be useful. I've never tried this before.

5. AndyAndoo macrumors newbie

Has anyone found a solution to this?

This isn't a problem but it would be more streamlined with the stacks UI.