Carrier Sprint $25 Framily plan has 3 million members (fastest growing rate plans on record)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by EbookReader, Apr 29, 2014.

1. EbookReader macrumors 65816

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/sprint-spotify-just-first-more-come-framily-plans/2014-04-29

When Sprint finish its Network Vision upgrade, it could be a force to be reckon with with the Framily Plan.

-separate billing
    -$25 a month for unlimited talk, text and 1GB of LTE data
    -option to add more data (+$10 for extra 2GB and +$20 for unlimited LTE)

2. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

3. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

4. EbookReader thread starter macrumors 65816

I wouldn't write Sprint off.

Its Network Vision is to be completed in 7 months time.

5. hungx macrumors 6502

hungx

Their policies regarding unlocked/unlocking devices are preventing me from switching.

6. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

next year.

7. hungx macrumors 6502

hungx

That allows you to use a Sprint device on another network, but you can't use an unlocked device on Sprint.

8. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

This is true. It is also true that Dan Hesse has stated that within markets having 70% completeion or more for at least one year, churn has reduced signifigantly.

However, consider this. Sprint stated from the very beginning that they expected NV once completely rolled out would provide average speeds of between 5-10mbps.

That's enough to stream, watch movies, catch up on your social websites, download apps, etc. It's respectable. But it's nothing when you start comparing speed tests. Now, speed tests are hardly a factor to base your choice of carrier on, but they do provide some reference and the fact of the matter is that most people erroneously use them as a yardstick in which they measure their carrier.

Next, consider that while Sprint is still doing all this, the competition is not standing still. Yes, Sprint has Spark, and yes it's being rolled out to various markets. Verizon though is now rolling out it's XLTE.

The fanboi's for Sprint over at s4gru.com were even taken aback when one of their members posted a Verizon speedtest for XLTE of about 136mbps down and 30mbps up.

My point of all this is not to dump on Sprint, it's my carrier after all. But, when you've been with Sprint for a very long time as I have you tend to believe the things they say when you see them. Right now, I'm in a market that's listed as 40% complete (yes, Sprint launched us at that low of a percentage) and I'm only seeing speeds on LTE that are equivalent to the best you can get on 3G. 3G is still in the basement.

It should get better, I hope it gets better, but honestly if the best I am going to see is 5mbps once this is done I question why I stayed. My contract is almost up so we will see what happens.

P.S. Since this thread is about Framily, note that while Framily is great for the consumer, it's not great for the stockholder. Sprint has the lowest profit of all the carriers off of their mobile plans. And they are still losing subscribers at almost twice the rate of other carriers That is eventually going to put them in a bad spot.

9. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

As long as I can't bring my unlocked device over to sprint, even though it has proper radios to hook onto their network, merely because they have an arbitrary and stupid policy, I have zero interest.