Sprint 3G to LTE issue? Who's at fault?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by bwsteg, Oct 12, 2013.

1. bwsteg macrumors 6502

First let me start out by saying I purchased a silver 5s on launch and did not have issues with that phone.

However, I recently returned it for a gold 5s and it seems as if something isn't right. The issue at hand is that it takes a while to go from 3g to LTE service.

For example, I have LTE service in my apartment complex at all times. Lets say I come back home after work, I take the elevator to reach my floor (phone automatically goes to 3G which is expected) but when I enter my apartment, it continues to read 3G until for about 1 minute. Why is that? My samsungs and iphone 5, silver 5s were all quick to go from 3g to LTE.

Also I have noticed that if I go to settings and disable LTE/then enable it, it automatically detects LTE (sort of like a manual push)

Is this normal? I have called sprint and they tell me it "must be the antenna on the iphone 5s"

Any ideas?

2. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

I had EXACTLY the same issue, even returned and bought a new iPhone thinking that was the issue. The replacement did the same. Same issues as you but with AT&T. I'd go onto 4G and it'd drop LTE for ages, sometimes I'd have to manually toggle airplane mode off then on.

Turned out Tier 3 support at ATT was able to look in the provisioning system to see my phone wasn't properly provisioned when they did the upgrade at the Apple store. He manually had to enter my IMEI into the provisioning system and since then I have had no issues whatsoever.

You may want to call Sprint support. Their Tier 1 is going to give you the scripted responses, so keep pushing it till you get to a higher level that can assist.

3. powerstrokin macrumors 6502a

powerstrokin

It's probably an iOS problem... my 5 does that sometimes. I don't think it's really a big deal, though.

edit- I didn't read the post above mine. Points to consider for sure. For me, however, I haven't noticed the issue until iOS 7 came along. Then again, I was using the beta for quite a while and can't remember iOS 6 now. Been using the same iPhone 5 since February.

4. bwsteg thread starter macrumors 6502

Called Sprint and they assured me all is well on their end as far as the provisioning system.

My other option is to perform a full hard reset and wee what happens..

5. bwsteg thread starter macrumors 6502

Still having issues. Got worse after hard reset. Will be returning the phone today...

Hopefully, I can find one without issues using the pick up option...

6. bwsteg thread starter macrumors 6502

Update: Exchanged the phone and issue is resolved...