Sprint 4s Unlocked SIM, traveling to Germany

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tekkierich, Oct 20, 2011.

1. tekkierich, Oct 20, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2011

tekkierich macrumors member

Hey all, I know there was a lot of banter the week of launch about the SIM slot on the Sprint phones being unlocked / not unlocked.

Bottom line, I am a new US Sprint customer, and I am going to Germany for a week on Monday. Has anyone popped a foreign SIM in and had it work? Anyone have any specific recommendations on German prepay carriers? I will want something like 1 gig of data and 100 minutes. 20 or 30 euro seems like a reasonable amount for this.

Thoughts?

2. Saileshbreaker macrumors regular

You could try by popping in an AT&T sim card in it, if it works, then its probably unlocked, as if it was locked to sprint only, even the AT&T sim would not work

3. tekkierich thread starter macrumors member

Good idea. I have a US T-mobile SIM from another device. I will try this today. What I wonder, is how the phone will prioritize CDMA or GSM service in an area where both are available.

4. Saileshbreaker macrumors regular

In this case, i guess GSM will work only in an area where GSM only is available, that's one of the reason apple said "roam internationally on GSM network" in its 4s launch keynote.

5. eattherich macrumors 6502

eattherich

I live in Cologne, Germany and I use a carrier called Simyo (it's a company that uses the big network, BASE). Anyway, I pay 9,90€/month for 1GB data. There are no free calls/texts but you can buy other add-ons as far as I know. I've been using this network on an iPhone 4 since early last year and it's been great. As far as I know, you have to order online (as I did) - I don't know if you can pick up a SIM in a phone store. Good luck and enjoy Germany :)