Carrier Sprint 7+ on AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vsp, Sep 22, 2016.

1. vsp macrumors regular

Instead of waiting another three weeks for my pre-order to arrive I noticed a Sprint version of the 128 GB 7+ was available at my local apple store so I reserved it.

I'm buying outright. As I understand from reading on Apple's site and other threads here I can use this on my AT&T plan. I should just bring it in to AT&T and have it put on my account, swapping out the SIM card?

Does this sound correct? Anything else I need to do?

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Sprint phone will work. Will Apple sell you one though w/o an account or signing up for Sprint service?

3. DJLAXL macrumors 6502

DJLAXL

If you purchase outright via Apple it will be unlocked. If you buy it through Sprint they will have it provisioned to Sprint and you have to wait 50 days.

4. vsp thread starter macrumors regular

I'm buying outright from Apple. When going through the reservation process the only carrier they had was Sprint, but they don't ask for any Sprint account info. I'm hoping I can just pick it up and head straight to AT&T.

If Apple won't sell it to me without a Sprint plan, even though I'm buying it outright, then I'll just be patient a bit longer.

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Tell them you're getting it as a gift - IF they give you any hassle.

6. joej508 macrumors newbie

joej508

Why are you going to AT&T? Just put the sim card in it assuming you already have AT&T service.

7. vsp thread starter macrumors regular

I've got a 5S. Can I simply take the SIM card from that and put it in the new phone? That'll be easier, by far.

8. tallazzPilipino macrumors 6502

tallazzPilipino

when I inquired before and mentioned I wanted to get it as a gift, they told me to wait for a SIM-free version, but had no idea when that would release.

I ended up picking up a Verizon version (same model as Sprint) which I lucked out on, and which I was able to leave the store never needing to activate it. I have Sprint and MetroPCS.

9. KPOM macrumors G5

Yes, but you might get a text message from AT&T saying you need to get a new SIM card. The 5s wasn't provisioned for VoLTE so there is a possibility it will not work. I bought a "Verizon" iPhone 6 in 2014 and that came up (even though VoLTE seemed to work fine with the old SIM).

I'd just pop it in and see what happens. If you need a new SIM any AT&T store can give you one.

10. swagginman macrumors newbie

Any idea if this is successful? I can't reserve one through the app as I don't have a Sprint number/PIN (I'm also on AT&T). But I'd probably prefer a Sprint phone.

11. vsp thread starter macrumors regular

No luck. When I arrived at the store the clerk wouldn't let me purchase one out right. She said they received notice yesterday that these phones were only available for customers enrolled in the upgrade program. So even though the phone was there and wasn't reserved for anyone she wouldn't sell it to me (her words were she "couldn't" sell one to me without my trading in my current Sprint phone).

She would sell me a 32 GB one however.

So it seems, at least in this store anyways, the attempts to appease all the Upgrade plan folks who they gave bad service to has ended up in giving bad service to a different set of customers.

I'm just going to wait at this point. I've already spent more time trying to convince a company to sell me their product than I would like.