Sprint: Add a line, just to upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RobertD63, Oct 10, 2011.

1. RobertD63 macrumors 6502

Could someone add a line to a family plan, then use that to buy an iPhone 4 and then cancel the other line? I'm not sure if this is possible, and Its not my plan. That is why I am asking.

To make this clearer lets use an example. Someone has a plan that doesn't have an upgrade until 2013, but its on a family plan. Could this person take that line, cancel it, and open another to get an upgrade? Cost of this would be? I'm about 99% sure you wouldn't be able to keep the number. But is this possible?

Thanks! :D

2. aberrero macrumors 6502a

More or less, ya, and you can probably keep the number too. It takes a bit of fiddling, but I have done it before.

3. jjlannoo Suspended

I added a iPhone on a second line with its own plan. Then I switched my evo to a old phone. Sold the evo for $150. My current cancellation fee is $160. So When my iphone 4 gets here I will swap numbers and cancel that line.

4. RobertD63 thread starter macrumors 6502

What was your cost?

So I'm looking at a $250 turn around here aren't I?

5. jjlannoo Suspended

Well depends on what your cancellation fee is (it decreases over time) What model iPhone you want and hopefully you can further offset it by selling your current phone.

6. RobertD63 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well crap. The current phone is a 2 year old rumor touch (garbage..) and the current plan was used by someone else to upgrade recently. So 2013 is when the contract will expire. Looks like loads of money here. Oh well. Thanks for the help though!

7. jjlannoo Suspended

no prob, BTW Im stuck using a sanyo incognito till the iPhone arrives. Its TERRIBLE lol.

If its a family Plan couldn't you also just add a line and suffer the $10 (or is sprint $20?) a month or whatever it is and strip everything off your current phone you can (data, insurance etc.) you could swap numbers so you would keep yours.

8. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

I called Sprint today and talked to exec services they told me I can cancel my line and get the same number back on the 14th for both me and my wife since ETF is only $125 it's cheaper than paying retail.

9. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

^^^ that's what I'm doing, putting a dumb phone on my current line and switching to the new one with the iPhone.

10. PRgeek82 macrumors newbie

iPhone 4S not compatible with Family Plan?

I'm wondering if any of you here have had the same problem. I got my Sprint iPhone today, and while activating it online, Sprint was telling me I needed to change my plan (I currently have a Family Plan with 5 lines) in order to activate the iPhone. All I want to do is swap my BlackBerry with the new iPhone.

I'm on the line with customer service, and they're telling me I need a separate $69.99 plan... this is ridiculous, right? I didn't see anywhere that the iPhone couldn't be used in the Family Plan...

11. aberrero macrumors 6502a

I'm having the exact same problem.

I gave up after being on hold for 20 minutes. Be sure to let me know if you get it figured out. I'm going to try a full wipe and I'm going to try activating through iTunes.